The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Resolved Precision SCM6131RS Capabilities?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I21chardh

Probationary Member
Oct 10, 2022
Denver, Colorado
precision gt35r?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Yes and no. 35R comp wheel. T04S comp cover. T3 stage III 76 trim T31 turbine wheel. BB center but not the garrett 35R type. Bolt-on hotside that they claim is .63AR but flows more like a 7cm.

Thanks for the info. This is the turbo that came with my car when I bought it. Do you think I should continue running this setup for 600whp street build? It did feel like there was some comp surge at WOT in higher gears at lower rpm when I was driving it.

Thanks for the info. This is the turbo that came with my car when I bought it. Do you think I should continue running this setup for 600whp street build? It did feel like there was some comp surge at WOT in higher gears at lower rpm when I was driving it.
You won’t see 600 on that turbo, so no. And here’s a thread from 2011 with a bit more insight on it with @JusMX141 explaining why the wheel combination was a pretty stupid idea on PTE’s end.

So is 500ish max on this setup? Previous owner made 472 on e85 with it. Is it just the hot side that is the bottleneck? Can I swap out this hot side to something else that would work for my goals?

Even swapping turbine housings it’s still not much bigger than a td05 turbine wheel, it’s the odd wheel combination that kills it. That 472 the previous owner seen is probably about all it has, and I’d be a little surprised if that was on a Mustang dyno.

6131....cast GT35R compressor on a TA34 turbine which is roughly the size of a MHI TD06 at 65/56.5mm. Ideal for someone attempting to make about 380whp on pump gas at 18psi...trouble is it's not going to make much more on better fuel and higher boost due to the turbine restriction. That's just not what these were intended for as they were built in a time when these cars had very different tuning platforms and aftermarket part availability than they do today. Replace it with something more-fitting of your goal...and definitely something with a T3 or v-band inlet flange if you're shooting for above 500whp.

You'll also have massive clearance issues attempting to fit that T04S cover in there with any stock-location manifold.

What would be a reasonable price to list this for to sell locally? Everything is good condition with no abnormal shaft play. Someone I know has a new Precision 6266 T3 .82A/R journal bearing for sale right now. Would this be a good candidate for my goal?

6131....cast GT35R compressor on a TA34 turbine which is roughly the size of a MHI TD06 at 65/56.5mm. Ideal for someone attempting to make about 380whp on pump gas at 18psi...trouble is it's not going to make much more on better fuel and higher boost due to the turbine restriction. That's just not what these were intended for as they were built in a time when these cars had very different tuning platforms and aftermarket part availability than they do today. Replace it with something more-fitting of your goal...and definitely something with a T3 or v-band inlet flange if you're shooting for above 500whp.

You'll also have massive clearance issues attempting to fit that T04S cover in there with any stock-location manifold.
Previous owner claimed to have made 472whp at 29psi but turned down. I have made 24psi with this turbo on this car at 5000 ft and it still pulls very hard

Last edited:
What would be a reasonable price to list this for to sell locally? Everything is good condition with no abnormal shaft play. Someone I know has a new Precision 6266 T3 .82A/R journal bearing for sale right now. Would this be a good candidate for my goal?
That would get you there but PTE doesn’t have the greatest reputation for quality these days, especially in their journal bearing units.

I’m going to go with a FP black that I found
I would still opt for something in a t3 housing if 600 is your goal. I know the FP black has and can hit that number, but that’s about stretched to all it has and isn’t typical, more typically users end up seeing 450-500, not to mention from what I’ve seen of it first hand it’s flat out boring in comparison to something like an hx40 or s362.

I would still opt for something in a t3 housing if 600 is your goal. I know the FP black has and can hit that number, but that’s about stretched to all it has and isn’t typical, more typically users end up seeing 450-500, not to mention from what I’ve seen of it first hand it’s flat out boring in comparison to something like an hx40 or s362.
I already have a FP manifold on the car that came with the precision. I would rather put the money elsewhere than a new manifold. The car was already making roughly 430 at 23psi on E85 on that precision before I started pulling the car apart. This is a street build for me to drive around town so if I fall a bit short off the 600 mark it’s fine, but I think I will be able to get there with a FP black, moderately built head and bottom end, JMF intake, 272 cams, 2150s.

If street car is more your goals and your not dead set on that number then I’d look into the Red. The red will offer better response and still be good for over 500, the black has its place but every car I’ve been around on the black doesn’t light off as quick as even larger framed turbos in t3 housings with more power potential. If you have an automatic trans its a different story, otherwise I’ve known many to just come out disappointed and end up going to a larger framed t3 set up.

If street car is more your goals and your not dead set on that number then I’d look into the Red. The red will offer better response and still be good for over 500, the black has its place but every car I’ve been around on the black doesn’t light off as quick as even larger framed turbos in t3 housings with more power potential. If you have an automatic trans its a different story, otherwise I’ve known many to just come out disappointed and end up going to a larger framed t3 set up.
Thanks for the info. Would a BB precision 3431RLE .63 be a better choice than the FP? There is one for sale right now for a very reasonable price

Previous owner claimed to have made 472whp at 29psi but turned down. I have made 24psi with this turbo on this car at 5000 ft and it still pulls very hard
I just don't see that happening in all honesty, especially not at Denver elevation. Perhaps those were inaccurate ECMLink estimates...definitely not accurate loaded dyno numbers. I've seen the SCM6152, which is that exact turbo with a 62mm turbine wheel versus your 56.5mm turbine, make some very disappointing dyno results due to turbine flow limitations...and that wasn't even at elevation (600ft). We're talking like 381whp at 25psi and 416whp at 30-32psi which is 20G territory.

Trust me in telling you that you need to step away from DSM-flanged turbos altogether if 600whp is a serious goal at Denver elevation. At roughly 3% per 1000ft, you can't risk turbine restriction holding the entire setup back. You're already going to make 12% less horsepower with a given turbo on the same supporting mods as I would, so I'd be adding that amount to the compressor rating of any turbo you might be interested in....so if a 65 lb/min compressor on kill-mode nets someone 600whp at sea level it would net you 510, and that's as good as it gets.

I just don't see that happening in all honesty, especially not at Denver elevation. Perhaps those were inaccurate ECMLink estimates...definitely not accurate loaded dyno numbers. I've seen the SCM6152, which is that exact turbo with a 62mm turbine wheel versus your 56.5mm turbine, make some very disappointing dyno results due to turbine flow limitations...and that wasn't even at elevation (600ft). We're talking like 381whp at 25psi and 416whp at 30-32psi which is 20G territory.

Trust me in telling you that you need to step away from DSM-flanged turbos altogether if 600whp is a serious goal at Denver elevation. At roughly 3% per 1000ft, you can't risk turbine restriction holding the entire setup back. You're already going to make 12% less horsepower with a given turbo on the same supporting mods as I would, so I'd be adding that amount to the compressor rating of any turbo you might be interested in....so if a 65 lb/min compressor on kill-mode nets someone 600whp at sea level it would net you 510, and that's as good as it gets.
This all makes sense, Im convinced. Is there a reasonably priced T3 manifold out there that isn't going to give me clearance issues? Is this Holset HX40 that needs a turbine housing listed on classifieds a turbo you rebuilt? would this work well for me?

This all makes sense, Im convinced. Is there a reasonably priced T3 manifold out there that isn't going to give me clearance issues? Is this Holset HX40 that needs a turbine housing listed on classifieds a turbo you rebuilt? would this work well for me?
I’ll vouch the hx40 and I’ll vouch for Justin’s work. I’d imagine if the rest of your set up is proper it could hit your goal at elevation, on my buddies 1g we were able to see 547 at 24psi on a Mustang dyno on e85 with the hx40 in a .70ar open t3 housing with a lot left on the table. That was at sea level and of course every car is different, but again a lot left on the table.

As far as manifolds go, the ERL cast manifold doesn’t pop up often but is hard to beat and usually goes for around $500 along with documentation of it fitting the hx40 well. The quickest hx40 propelled 1g used one if that tells you anything. Might take some digging to find one but they do pop up.

There are no reasonably-priced T3 manifolds that work well with the exception of the ERL that Steve mentioned above, and they're pretty scarce. That's the biggest reason behind folks staying DSM-flanged for the most part...the simplicity, and the cost. Going T3 or V-band is a pretty heavy commitment. That being said, I wouldn't be looking at a HX40 supercore that needs a turbine housing and will only really provide you with more turbine flow as a major purchase point. Perhaps if you were stepping up from a 16G or something, but you already have a 61mm turbo in your possession...it's just not optimized.

If I were doing a full street-car restructure right now in your desired horsepower range it would be hard to steer me away from a quality v-band manifold and a Pulsar 6262G which is a direct copy of a Garrett G35-900 for less than 1/3rd the price. The flexibility and weight/space savings of the v-band housing compared to T3 is very attractive. Otherwise, staying DSM-flanged has you limited to something like the FP DSM Zero in a 10cm2 housing...a $2600 turbo you're not going to find in good used condition anywhere.

I will vouch for the turbo, it was built buy Jus Turbos for my son Matt. It is in new rebuilt shape as of the day he sold it.
I will also vouch for @JusMX141 's work, bar none, outstanding. He does all of my turbo work and is very good at it. I wouldn't trust anyone else! Thanks Justin!!! :thumb:
Marty

I never heard of Pulsar turbos before this.
What do you think about their quality versus an actual Garrett?
Finish quality would obviously not be on-par with actual Garrett, but you can't expect that for the savings. It's "upscale" Chinese stuff similar to what some of the larger vendors are offering these days like FP, Boost Lab, etc. Ceramic ball bearing, VSR-balanced, popular housing sizes...I'd run one in place of a Precision without even thinking twice.

Finish quality would obviously not be on-par with actual Garrett, but you can't expect that for the savings. It's "upscale" Chinese stuff similar to what some of the larger vendors are offering these days like FP, Boost Lab, etc. Ceramic ball bearing, VSR-balanced, popular housing sizes...I'd run one in place of a Precision without even thinking twice.
Someone yelled at me just the other day for saying I’d take a ball bearing Pulsar or FP budget 3582 over a gen 2 6262 haha

What is up with the budget HD3582? :hmm:
Sure couldn't beat the price. Inquiring minds want to know since I have one.

Well dam Jus. What is the bad thing, the bearings, thrust plate, impellers???
Now I'm mad at myself LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back