The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Precision SC-61.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclpsegsx12

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 16, 2003
Tucson, Arizona
I need some reviews for the precision SC-61 turbo...you can buy it from dejon tool and its the 680 HP turbo....just wondering what your thoughts were on it...thanks!

Dude thats a big turbo, you just plannin on draggin only?

Cuz the 50 trim is an awesome turbo and probably every other
member here will tell you the same thing. You can run a lot
of boost on pump gas, but make sure you're properly tuned, and
i couldn't imagine you wanting a faster turbo, there have been
people runnin some pretty damn good times( with all mods, tuned,
logged). And when you throw race gas in a pump up the boost
it does great.

It's a really big turbo. Spool up is slow. Airflow at high psi is high. Unless you have bigg cams and a smim, built motor you don't need it. Get the 50 trim.

need more info on your setup and goals....the sc61 is really popular in the honda crowd, and the spoolup isnt as bad as you would think. i bet on a stock motor you would see full boost before 5k...might seem laggy to those nancy boys that want a 3k spoolup but if you want big power this turbo will make it.

i ran a t3/60-1 on a completely stock motor, which is pretty much the same turbo as the sc61 but the sc61 uses the newer garrett wheels...i had full boost before 5k and from what ive heard the sc61 spools up about the same but make a decent amount more power per psi once you get up in the 20's where the turbo really starts to make power.

Its really popular for race gas and built motors in DSM's... Certain turbos with names staring with L and ending with R had the same wheel... So I think the honda connection is can't beat em even if you join them...

IMHO... Pump gas fun.. 50 trim.. Race gas 56trim... SC61... I think you should go smaller. I'm using the right fuel to run at the pressure ratio that thing likes.

I think that you will probably make more real world power with a 50.

You can make things really fly with a 56 but it takes some extra work and expense... If I did'nt have ethanol up here cheap I might have gone smaller... I'm just going to run 98% ethanol E98 all the time ...
:D I can get it for around the cost of 93 octane..

When you get a bigger turbo, you got to realize that parts will start breaking faster than they usually would. What would you guys reccomend on upgrading when you upgrade to a 50trim , considering that all the necceary mods are done ( injectors, fuel pump, afc, 2g exhaust manifold ported, ported o2, 3" turbo-back) ? Raxeles axles?

For a mostly street driven dsm. I would suggest 4 turbos. *Most* that have street cars are looking for response, and performance on pump gas. In my opinin a turbo that *starts* to spool at 4000+ rpms is not acceptable or fun to drive, so here are my choices.

AGP full Garrett 50 trim setup
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Forced performance Green

Forced performance 3052

agp rs49

Originally posted by gritsak
need more info on your setup and goals....the sc61 is really popular in the honda crowd, and the spoolup isnt as bad as you would think. i bet on a stock motor you would see full boost before 5k...might seem laggy to those nancy boys that want a 3k spoolup but if you want big power this turbo will make it.

Exactly. A scm or sc61 will reach full boost before 5k, in fourth gear , you will see 20 psi at about 4-4.2k, which is not laggy at all imho. All this talk about lag; it's overrated. Just my .02 :thumb:

Originally posted by TurboSpoolinIns
Exactly. A scm or sc61 will reach full boost before 5k, in fourth gear , you will see 20 psi at about 4-4.2k, which is not laggy at all imho. All this talk about lag; it's overrated. Just my .02 :thumb:

lets add some prospective in regard to spool. My previous PTE 50 trim spooled 25 psi at 3500 rpms. However the car felt completely flat until the turbo reached full boost. I had no restriction in front of the turbo and a very free flowing exhaust. A 50 trim will make more HP on pump gas spool faster. Also offer better off boost drivability.

A 50 trim is efficient enough to run up to 26 psi on pump gas and knock very little. With good tuning and spool under 3800 rpms. Depending on what exhaust wheel and turbine housing you select. On pump gas a 56 trim turbo will get obliterated by a well setup and supported 50 trim car.

All this talk about lag; it's overrated. Just my .02

You are correct it is overrated i dont have any:thumb:

Thanks for all the replies...
Anyways, The only reason i would even consider getting the sc61 is because a buddy of mine has it on his car(91 talon) with a built motor ect....i rode in it and at 14 psi, it was a rocket and it spooled at about 4k......i could possibly get it at a decent price also...i know its a big turbo.....i wasnt really planning on a different turbo setup but now since my car isnt going anywhere in the winter, i was thinking of just parting with my old setup and going to a different one....Here is whats done to my car...

its a 98 gsx btw,

3 inch apexi turbo back
injen intake
evo 16g ported, 34mm flap
1g head, cams, intake mani, TB ect...
cometic metal HP HG
rc 550s
walbro 255 HP w/rewire
DSMLINK V2 setup(on the way)
FMIC kit(on the way as well)
skunk 2s with kybs
egr blcoked off
act 2600 and a re-BUILT tre spec tranny
ported mani and o2
hallman evo mbc (on the way also!)
buschur racing AFPR with gauge and 1g rail

then i have things like gauges ect..

my goals have not been set it stone....but what i am hoping for is 11s possibly with the 16g or maybe teh 50 trim.....ive talked to guys at AGP and i have a setup that im looking for but its a little out of my price range at the moment.....the only reason i didnt want to upgrade turbos is i didnt want to change injectors ect... my 65 eprom ecu has to be sent out to dsmlink but im waiting to see exactly what size injectos ill need....

With a little help from you guys, maybe i could make up my damn mind!....so, i know this has been asked time and time again but i really want an honest opinion so i dont have to go back and swap things out again....are 680s the best size for a 50 trim? or 720s?....i need to decide on my setup before i get my dsmlink setup.....sorry for the long reply but i think i needed to explain more things....Thanks for everyones help...its greatly appreciated!

Originally posted by jdmawd

A 50 trim is efficient enough to run up to 26 psi on pump gas and knock very little. With good tuning and spool under 3800 rpms. Depending on what exhaust wheel and turbine housing you select. On pump gas a 56 trim turbo will get obliterated by a well setup and supported 50 trim car.

Maybe... but 22 psi on a 56/61mm power'd car can make over 400 easily on pump gas tuned right with little timing on 22 psi with that boost hitting just over 4k rpm in 4th gear like I said. I'd take the 56 over the 50 anyday, which is what I did; but people have different power goals in life.

Maybe... but 22 psi on a 56/61mm power'd car can make over 400 easily on pump gas tuned right with little timing on 22 psi

Peak numbers are a wonderful thing. However power under the curve is what determines drivability.

with that boost hitting just over 4k rpm in 4th gear like I said. I'd take the 56 over the 50 anyday

I don't think you understand. While you are trying to get those huge wheels spinning up to 4500 where it begins to make boost. A 50 trim will be pegged at 25 psi a *thousand* RPM's sooner. you will be Bus lengths in the rear by the time you get that big bad 56 trim spooled to 22 psi.

people have different power goals in life.

Ones goal should be 600whp and 10's if they are selecting a 600whp turbo that is capable of 10 ET's

Good Luck.

I'm not calling it a really laggy turbo but you can't deny it is'nt as fast as a 50...

me and luke get it from uncle jessie's still.... :laugh:

Up here E85 is big... I just get it direct from an ethanol plant and mix it with 2% race gas or 93 if I am cheap..

I don't think you understand. While you are trying to get those huge wheels spinning up to 4500 where it begins to make boost. A 50 trim will be pegged at 25 psi a *thousand* RPM's sooner. you will be Bus lengths in the rear by the time you get that big bad 56 trim spooled to 22 psi.

Thats why you downshift so you are in the right RPM range for your turbo.

If you're launching in first, stutterbox it at 6k and well, break the hell outta your driveline. You're 50 trim no longer has any advantage.

Yes, I agree, lag is overrated. There are ways around it.

Anyone daily driving around having a problem w/ lag because they are looking for boost below their turbo's spool up RPM's is a fool IMO. Downshit a gear and hit it, problem solved.

Just be aware of your turbos range before you order it and make sure you like driving around in the upper RPM's all the time if you are going w/ a big turbo.

Or just stroke your motor:D

Ones goal should be 600whp and 10's if they are selecting a 600whp turbo that is capable of 10 ET's

Good Luck.

Who said it isn't? :thumb:

Originally posted by entropy138
Thats why you downshift so you are in the right RPM range for your turbo.

If you're launching in first, stutterbox it at 6k and well, break the hell outta your driveline. You're 50 trim no longer has any advantage.

Yes, I agree, lag is overrated. There are ways around it.

Anyone daily driving around having a problem w/ lag because they are looking for boost below their turbo's spool up RPM's is a fool IMO. Downshit a gear and hit it, problem solved.

Just be aware of your turbos range before you order it and make sure you like driving around in the upper RPM's all the time if you are going w/ a big turbo.

Or just stroke your motor:D

Yep to that too.

Where can i get more info on this SCM turbo's or the PTE's anyone have a site with good prices. Thanks

I can say that about 25% of my customers that buy 61's arent happy with them because their car isnt ready for them. Those that are ideal for the 61 are DSMers with modified motors, strokers or built motors. Also it does lag, you are looking at spool between 4k-4500 depending on the car. One of our customers made 502awhp on his scm61 with a built 2.0 6-bolt. A local customer has a 2.4 and he spools to 24 psi at 3500RPM. talk about a hell of a kick. anyway for the masses the 50trim is the optimal turbo but to the brave at heart the 61 will fulfill all your sick and twisted power dreams :D

I have an sc61 sitting in my garage. The ONLY reason I got a turbo this big is because I have a fully built motor that will have no problems seeing 23-24 psi daily. I would not recommend this turbo if you are only going to run 20 psi max as these things really start making power the higher you go in the psi level. I love the turbo ... I saw it next to a 16g and it's just ridiculous .. the thing is friggin huge. One of my friends is running an SCM61 ( same thing ... just mitsu housing ) on his gst and it sees full boost in the mid 4s. I'm hoping to see boost around 4200 or so due to an equal length manifold and a very free flowing exhaust, and I'm also hoping to ride it out to about 7200. It's the perfect turbo for drag racing, and when you are just driving in normal traffic you aren't always wasting gas because you are hitting boost by just tapping the gas. I should have mine up and running in 1-2 weeks ... I will give a full review on it. :thumb:

This year will show which turbo will work best at least for the local dsm's here in MN.

I can probably come up with 1 local member for each type of possible 50trim or 56 trim.

ex: of members turbo, numbers
50trim T04E with .48 - 321whp 20psi - 92 oct
50trim T04E with .63 - 116mph traps - 92 oct
50trim T04S wtih .63 - not yet run
Standard Mitsu PTE 56trim - 406whp 22psi 92 oct, 508whp 30psi C-16
PTE 56trim w/T04E with T3 exhaust housing .63 A/R - not yet run
PTE 56trim w/T04S with T3 exhaust housing .63 A/R - not yet run
PTE 56trim w/T04S wtih T3 Exhaust housing .82 A/R - not yet run

Other misc numbers:
T3/T4 60trim .82 A/R - 422whp pump 26psi - 92 Oct, 526whp 35psi - C-16
T3/T4 PTE 3561 w/T04S cover .63 A/R with 5bolt T3 housing - not yet run
T3/T4 PTE 3561 w/T04S cover .63 A/R with 4bolt T3 housing - not yet run
GT35R - Not yet run

As you can see we have several people locally running a variety of turbo's. hopefully everyone's winter projects will get finished up here come end of May early June. At which time I'll post more numbers.

My only other comment is "TurboSpoolinside" reference to the 56trim is from the 406whp/508whp car. He get's full spool by 4400rpms I believe. Which is only 300rpms higher then my S20G - figure a 50Trim running a .63 A/R or larger would be right with the standard 56trim turbo. And HP numbers are just about the same. AT least when you compare them to my other friends 50trim.63A/R Numbers the 56trim had a bit more HP on pump.

Well it may be just me but why are we even looking at big turbos on pump gas? I dont even know guys with 14bs around here running that, then again the local gas station is open 24 hours a day and sells 110 for 3.75 why buy anything else. When you buy a BIG turbo you are not or should not be buying it to run on pump gas. The 2 cars we have now one built with a gt35R running 11.0@132 that is street drivin never sees pump. ANd niether will my car when its done. Pump gas is for small turbos

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back