The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Precision SC-61.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i got a call from one of our customers that built his 2g with 1g rods and new 2g pistons and he made 456whp on pump at 24 psi on his scm61 that is also internally gated. The only other mods the engine has is 264/272 cams and minor head work (valves and springs) Ill see if i can get the Dyno graph from him so i can post it. i don't thinkg he is much for caputers. ;) i mean really who doesnt have an email address now adays :confused:

oh and he purchased 750's and an SAFCII as well so i am assuming that is what he is using for tuning.

Wow! This post really blew up!

Anyways ill post my setup since its been awhile.

built 6-bolt
eagle rods
ross 8.5:1 pistons
polished and magnafluxed crank
ARP Hardware(mains, rods, head)
mitsu 4 layer HG
bored .30 over
SS valves
Si/Manley dual springs and retainers
Comp Full Race Cams
Forrester Intake Manifold
AGP T3/T04E 50 trim setup with a .63 A/R
Turbonecics Evolution wastegate
SFP Manifold
Slowboy Racing FMIC kit
Tial BOV
hallman mbc
AEM EMS Speed density..GM 3 bar map and AIT
Innovate motorsports wideband

theres more but you get the jist of it. Its built, fully built

I went to the dyno only to find out my clutch broke (ACT 2600) and all the springs fell out. It ruined my bellhousing so right now im in the process of finding a 2g awd bellhousing which has been very tough.

I am going with an ACT flywheel and a Southbend Feramic 6-puck with a custom 2200 PP

Hopefully ill be back to the dyno soon becasue its been a long time since ive driven it.

I will be running 92 octane pump gas and i will set the boost to whatever the turbo can pump out. Im planning on revving out to 8.5k or 9k depending on when the turbo drops off at.

Now i have a question for everyone. What is the maximum boost i can run on this turbo for pump gas. I want to have an idea of what to set it at on the dyno.

Thanks guys!

I know of someone runnig 28 psi on 91 octane on this compressor wheel (in a gt35R). You can run a lot of boost but you will ahve to back off timing. The person in question was running 16 deg timing at peak.

I don't run over 18psi on pump 93. I run 20psi on 100 unleaded Cam2. 22psi on 110VP. And over 22psi on C16. 18psi on pump is more than enough for the street. Although 9 times out of 10 I fill up once a week on 100 Cam2 and run 20psi (she loves this gas at 20psi). :)

this turbo doesn't really kick in til around 22-23psi. I think running 18 on this turbo is WAY to low. I was running 23psi on 91 piss octane with 720's, 2g mas and AFC. And still got 30MPG on the freeways and 26MPG on the streets :D

jsigone,

Are you still on stock bottom end? How is lag on the scm61?

brnoutking,

Do you have experience with both scm50 and scm61? Most guys on 2.0 claimed they get full boost on scm50 around 3700-4000 and scm61 around 4300-4700.

Would jumping from the small 16G turbo to a big turbo like scm61 too big of a step to take? Most of the dsm around my area equiped with scm50. Some run good times, others isnt so fortunate.

Here are my main concerns: 1. My goal for the car is to make low to mid 400whp on stock 6 bolt + hks cams + SMI. I know a lot of guys having hard times reaching mid 400whp on the scm50. Will the scm61 just makes it easier to achieve?

My second concern is, can stock tranny handle the scm61? Eventually I would like to go with 2.3/2.4 stroke motor and Shep tranny.

Lastly, is lag going to be that bad with stock motor and tuning with 2G mas + AFC + 750s?

Here are my current mods:

91' GSX
165K miles on stock motor (compression: 156, 152, 150, 151)
Mitsu metal gasket + ARP studs
3" turbo-back (no cat)
Supra FP (rewired)
SX FPR
550s (soon to be 750s)
2G mas
SAFC
Dejon Tool Race FMIC
ACT2600
EGT
Pocketlogger
Koni Yellow/GC

yah it was on a stock bottom motor. I wasn't able to get Cams in there yet. Lag wasn't bad at all. Build boost around 3500 and have full boost around 4300rpm. I wass till able to canyon carve w/ that beast.

One friend has a PTE 50 trim and pushed around 39x AWHP w/ race gas ect ect. My other friend has a Pte 56 trim, made 38x AWHP and let off due to running to lean around 5500rpms or so. I think his should make over 400 easy if he stayed on it, but the guy at the dyno shop got off once the AF went crazy. Both were on stock bottom ends (6bolt)

i have personally had horrible luck with PTE. i orderd a SC61 from them and put it on my fully built 6 bolt (eagle weisco JB stage 3 head) before i put 10 miles on it the turbo blew up trashed the intake and exhaust wheels ant trashed the intake housing. called them up told them what happened they honered their warranty and fixed it. at that time i was running the feed line from the head. they told me the bearings were toast and told me i needed to run feed from the oil housing. ok.... i changed it. get the turbo back. looks good. put it on the dyno make 500+ whp using a switchable tranny. get it off the dyno drive down the street turn around boosted it to about 28 psi and pop it goes again. talk to PTE again they say theyll fix it and they do. they told me it was still because of oil.... :thumbdown there was no way for me to get more oil to the turbo i ran the feed line from the oil housing like they said :confused: so i cant help but think that this turbo is just a piece of poo. well regardless i get it back and put it on again drive it for about 100 miles never relly got on it due to lack of high octane gas to run on. well when i go to get on the highway i hear it spool up and then pop i didnt think it was the turbo this time it sounded like a ic pipe pop off. it wont bouild boost so i dont think much about it. get to a gas station check all the ic pipes...all good. uh oh. i take off my intake feel inside and what do ya know...trash the intake wheel was so torn up it wiggled around inside the intake housing like my fist in a coffee can. i pulled it off tear it down to my suprise the bearings are fine but the shaft has totally been sheared. :mad: :mad: there is no reason for this to have happened! PTE said they wont fix it anymore. so now im screwed out of $1k. if you want my opinion PTE can die for all i care. no one but FP will get my money from now on. soon to come FPT67!

Just clarifying, twice this turbo is listed as 680 horsepower turbo. Not quite, 630 horsepower is the maximum for the compressor wheel, this is much more common horsepower number for this turbocharger and is much more believeable if you look at the specs.

I personally like this turbo a lot, and i don't find it that laggy as most customers tell me it spools around 4800-5300 rpms.

Cragger

SlowboyCSE said:
Just clarifying, twice this turbo is listed as 680 horsepower turbo. Not quite, 630 horsepower is the maximum for the compressor wheel, this is much more common horsepower number for this turbocharger and is much more believeable if you look at the specs.

I personally like this turbo a lot, and i don't find it that laggy as most customers tell me it spools around 4800-5300 rpms.

Cragger

Check This Dyno Out

606 WHP, 407 WTQ

It's an SC61 on a honda. T3 exhaust housing, .63 A/R, Stage 5 wheel. 607 WHP @ 27 pounds of boost. Made 506 WHP on 19 psi and pump gas. I think 630 horsepower is looking at it a little on the low side. I can't believe people are saying a 50 trim will make more horsepower than this on pump gas too :rolleyes:

local guys '94 all-wheeler (dyno was in fwd trim) made 514whp/367trq @ 23 psi with an SC61 .63 - built 2.0 and c16.

I was gonna post a new thread on my set up but I'm just gonna high jack a few replys here :)

95 TSi AWD

94 DOHC 4G64 block
Wesico 8.7:1
Eagle H beams
Metal HG, BS delete

DNP Manifold, ex gate, and O2 housing
3" back

Fuel stuff, DSMLink V2, fidenza, 2600, fp2s, mild head work, blah blah you get the point

Aiming for 550awhp or more, this car will not be registered for street use while I'm in Cali, maybe for fun if I move to a state that won't hang me for it. Consider it for 1/4 track only.

Would I be happy and well matched with a 60-1 or would a would different sized turbo suit my goals and set up better? So far, from what I've read it's the best matched for my goals. I've been looking at the Turbonetics 60-1 SBR and AGP have on special for $699. Seams like a hell of a deal. My extra displacement seems like it would help spool that hog too...

about the scm61 mitzu style....going from w/g boost to say like 23-24 on pump should be like a holy $hit diff right...? hopefully it is cause im really looking fowared to it...i got all the major mods...272's smim...all the normal b.s..but lemme know :dsm:

i didnt waste my time reading this thread but all the people who bash the scm-61 have probably never even been in a car with one, i have one on my car and love it lag is not bad at all on my stock 2.0 i am actually going to go bigger some time down the road but i couldnt be happier for the time being granted its mostly a turbo used for drag racing i can play around in the curves in my area and no where near redline i can hit over 15lbs of boost not even holding it at wot
every one told me not to buy the scm-61 and now the alot of the same people who have seen my car in person will openly admit they are wrong

hey guys..the scm61 is a great turbo..i had it on my car and just took it off a week ago..with 24 psi 1/2 tank of 93 octane gas with 2 gallons of 110 race...i went 11.1 @127 with a not so great 60 foot time ..(high 1.7) turbo makes full boost at 3900 in 4th gear ..remember i have a scm61..i think the scm have a small turbine housing great for spool up but not great on top end ..so i think i'm goin with either a sc61 ..thats a t3/t4 turbine 63 a/r ..or a gt35 with a t3t4 turbine housing...here's a pic of my setup ..with a 1.6 60 foot time and more boost its a easy 10 pass...i also have dsmlink car weighs 2776 with out me :thumb:

http://www.titsup.mike1023.com/video/laser/etown/laser_11_4.wmv

http://www.titsup.mike1023.com/video/laser/etown/laser_11_1.wmv

the 11.1 run didnt show a time cause i didnt have a cage ..thats the rules at racewaypark e-town..11.499 or faster need a cage

why does everyone care so much about lag when they are intrested in a turbo this size, A very smart person once told me this, a bolt on precision turbo for the money is a hands down winner, no doubt about it, but if you want to make power then change your mind on a turbo and always make sure you have a good tune and FULL CONTROL over timing, and I agree with him, after watching hundreds of dsm dnyo.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back