The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Precision billet converters for 1g auto awd transmission

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

santa

Probationary Member
Sep 10, 2004
Princeton, Minnesota
Hey guy's I know it looks like I'm new on here but, I've been a member for some time. Right now, I have purchased a awd auto 1g transmission and am in the middle of trying to solve our standard style torque converter problem. I have a email sent in to Precision Industries about their "dragon" converter. I simply stated the problem's with the guys that are into the auto transmissions for the 1g. I told them that most do not want to swap over to the 2g transmission just to use a different converter. I asked them if I could round up enough people with interest, if they would be able to run a batch of those nice lock up style 9.5'' billet converters. So, if any of you are seriously interested in this please let me know so I can get a count on how many converters they would need to make for us. Just shoot me a PM letting me know your situation!!

Thanks guys!
Kevin

I would love that. I acually talked to the guys that reflashed my converter at www.patsconverter.com, and he said if there was enough want he would look into making them.

I dont think you could run a lock up converter in a 1g trans though if Im wrong correct me, but Im pretty sure there is no lock up solenoid in the valve body.

Your not understanding what I'm asking here. The billet converter is a major upgrade. It would be a lock up CONVERTER LOL. This means, use of a lock-up clutch that physically links the pump and turbine, effectively changing the converter into a purely mechanical coupling. The result is no slippage, and virtually no power loss. :hellyeah:

I'm not understanding either. I think it has been well hashed out that you can't get a 1g transmission to lock up the converter no matter what you do. Are you saying that this converter is the exception to that rule - I'm doubting that, but if you can provide a link to someone who has successfully made a 1g transmission lock up a converter, then post it.

Edit: Or are you saying that this is a totally different technology that doesn't require transmission involvement to lock up the converter, but somehow locks the converter at a certain rpm due to centripetal forces or something like that.

Edit: Or are you saying that this is a totally different technology that doesn't require transmission involvement to lock up the converter, but somehow locks the converter at a certain rpm due to centripetal forces or something like that.

Answered your own question ;)

Guess this is the reason why they discontinued the converter for the 1g's

Straight from Precision

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you may know of Kevin with Kiggly Racing. Whether you do or not, he is aware of the fact that all we offer is a converter for the 2nd gen car. What his customers do with the 1st gen cars is they put a 2nd gen transmission in them. We can build a converter for that application no problem. It's a non-lockup though as the cars were burning the clutch in the converter (no fault of the converter).The problem we ran into and the reason we discontinued making the 1st gen conevrter was that there were several variations of heights (or lenghts) of the converters, all because of the different bellhousings and input shafts being used with the 1st gen. The project is certain to never make a comeback.

Sorry fellas looks like we will just need to stick it out with a reg converter.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back