The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Power steering pump overflows

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SneezyGst

Probationary Member
May 29, 2021
Howell, Michigan
Hey guys-

Installed a new power steering pump about 3 weeks ago and I'm still having issues.

I've bleed the line more times than I care to count. It's always clear, squawk stops and no overflowing. I let it sit overnight and then when I take it out the next day it immediately overflows when I turn the car off. This process happens over and over again. Ideas or solutions? I'm rather tired of it.

What's the history? Why did you replace the pump? Any other work done at that time?

This sounds like air getting into the system when it sits, then the next time you drive it that air expands and causes an overflow. Air can only get in if fluid leaks out so I would look very hard for a leak -- maybe park with the whole P/S system over a big sheet of cardboard or something?

Another step in diagnosis would be to try bleeding it right before you take it out as well as after driving. If you get rid of all the air at night, solid fluid, then you can add more in the AM ... it's a leak

Hey guys-

Installed a new power steering pump about 3 weeks ago and I'm still having issues.

I've bleed the line more times than I care to count. It's always clear, squawk stops and no overflowing. I let it sit overnight and then when I take it out the next day it immediately overflows when I turn the car off. This process happens over and over again. Ideas or solutions? I'm rather tired of it.
Does it feel smooth and operate normally? Is your pressure relief valve present and installed correctly?

History was I had an alarming howling noise coming from that area. I couldn't pinpoint so I opted to start with new alt and power steering pump as they likely needed to be replace now or soon anyhow. Install went smooth, I followed lock to lock instructions. It goes away after awhile, but as soon as I start the car later/next day the pump noise is back. Still unresolved at this point

Does it feel smooth and operate normally? Is your pressure relief valve present and installed correctly?
Can you elaborate? Yes it feels smooth, but the sound implys it's hurting

There's gotta be air getting introduced to the system somewhere, even if fluid isn't leaking out (except the overflowing). Think of it in terms that the leak is leaking into the system, not out of the system. If you've bled the system numerous times, and have the same result, It's time to look elsewhere. What year is the car? Has the steering rack been replaced? How do the fluid hoses look? Ect....

So you a howling noise, replaced the alt and p/s pump, and now you’re having issue with p/s fluid overflowing? Sounds like there’s something wrong with the new pump. If you still have the old pump, rebuild it and throw it back in especially if it’s an oe unit.

To avoid getting p/s fluid on your new alt, take aluminum foil and make a bowl to place under the pump to catch the fluid. Fold it a few times so it’s stronger.

Last edited:
I couldn't find an exploded view of a 2g pump so I'm demonstrating with a 1g (91-94). Assuming 1g and 2g pumps are roughly the same internally, I'd make sure all the parts highlighted below are present and installed properly. I've heard of reman pumps not including the terminal/spring/plunger/rod.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back