The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Power steering problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99 Red Rocket

Probationary Member
Sep 15, 2015
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Hey guys I believe I've got a problem with the power steering in my 99 gst. When I drive or even idle sometimes my car will start to make this horrible high pitch noise and it'll go away after a few seconds. It gets louder as I accelerate. But when I'm parked and I jack the wheel to the left or right the power steering pulley I believe tends to slow down and almost even stop and my battery light turns on I'm assuming because the alternator isn't spinning as fast as it should to keep the power but besides that could it just be air in the lines or the pump itself failing. When I makes the noise I also smell a terrible burning scent. What do you guys think? It had sat outside for 4 days and it began to have that problem before everything was okay.

The most common cause of squeals is belt related, either from improper tension or dirty belts. Make sure both your PS and alternator belt are properly tightened. If theyre dirty spray a shot of baby powder on the inside of them to see if the noise stops. If it does get new belt. If it squeals when you turn the wheels it's most likely your PS pump. The battery light is a sign your alternator is malfunctioning, especially if the light goes out above 2k rpms. Make sure your PS pump isn't leaking on your alternator and check the alt for proper voltage. Sounds like alternator to me. If it's bad upgrade to a 90 amp from a galant.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back