The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Power Steering Noise When Wheel Turned All The Way

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJ_IS_BATMAN

Proven Member
May 7, 2020
Ontario, California
Hey Everyone,

Just ended up replacing my power steering belt with a brand new continental belt and got a new tensioner from the junk yard as i had suspected my old one in my car had an issue with one of the bolts on it.

I now have an issue that when i turn the wheel all the way to either the left or to the right it makes a screeching sound. It didn't do this prior and just started now.

Any ideas what it could be?

Is this happening when it’s basically all the way in one direction or the other, and has no turning travel left? That position is hard on any power steering system as it tries to do the impossible; provide more assist when it is physically prevented. This can lead to several symptoms, including the belt slipping (as the pump faces more resistance to provide fluid), and the squealing could be from that. If it’s only momentary, no big deal. If it stays like that through the whole parking maneuver, then consider adjusting your driving style a softer touch at either “lock”. You’re old belt may have been glazed, and so it didn’t squeal.
If it happens before you ever reach the limit, then perhaps something else is likely the culprit.

Ok so I checked power steering fluid and it’s full, I moved the steering wheel and the loud squeal is when the wheels are locked all the way to the right or to the left. It’s a super loud squeling LOL. I can’t even imagine trying to do u turns like that LOL.

Ok so I checked power steering fluid and it’s full, I moved the steering wheel and the loud squeal is when the wheels are locked all the way to the right or to the left. It’s a super loud squeling LOL. I can’t even imagine trying to do u turns like that LOL.

When you reach full lock and continue pushing the power steering pump starts running pressure over the relief valve. That's the noise you are hearing. It's also hard on the pump and heats the fluid very quickly. When driving make sure to avoid pushing the wheel to the end stops and if you hit the end back off slightly.

When you reach full lock and continue pushing the power steering pump starts running pressure over the relief valve. That's the noise you are hearing. It's also hard on the pump and heats the fluid very quickly. When driving make sure to avoid pushing the wheel to the end stops and if you hit the end back off slightly.

So i ended up tightening the belt a few additional turns and the noise completely stopped. No more squealing or slipping what so ever. I didn't want to originally over tighten the belt but i guess it needed it to work 100%

So when I last commented on this, I was in the midst of a timing belt/ water pump change. I also replaced all three other belts. Stared driving and I get some squealing too! But not even while turning; just low rpms for the first few minutes. I figured I drive it like this a few days to let the belts set in a little, and then adjust them. Unfortunately 1g’s don’t have a p/s pump tensioner. Instead, you just pry on the pump body with a bar, and lock it down.
Glad you got yours sorted out.

There's a sweet spot when tightening the belts on a 2gnt. Too tight and they'll snap. Too loose and they'll fly off. Once you get it to the right tension, push on a free section of the belt to see how much it flexes. Try to remember that for the next time you do the job. I know exactly how much bounce-back it should have since I've loosened it at least 8 times LOL

There's a sweet spot when tightening the belts on a 2gnt. Too tight and they'll snap. Too loose and they'll fly off. Once you get it to the right tension, push on a free section of the belt to see how much it flexes. Try to remember that for the next time you do the job. I know exactly how much bounce-back it should have since I've loosened it at least 8 times LOL

Oh yeah trust me i know LOL, My car came without the ac/ps belt all together. First install, belt got chewed up and spit out within 2 miles. I got a replacement belt, Again got spit out within 1-2 miles, Put it back on..... This time it lasted about 25 miles until i got the rpms to 4k on a take off LOL..it spit it out again! LOL.

The last time i ended up noticing the tensioner bolt was stripping and wouldn't hold tight anymore. Got a new one from the junkyard and then had this recent noise issue, finally now its perfect, Driven 300 miles as is with no more slipping and noise.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back