The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Power Steering Lines

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xineth

Probationary Member
Apr 2, 2022
Oak Harbor, Washington
I have a 1GA Talon TSI that I'm trying to restore power steering on as the previous owner removed all the components except the powered rack and capped the lines. I currently have all the parts needed to get it working again besides the lines that run from the rack to pump to reservoir, etc. Are they hard or soft lines and are they specific kind of lines or is it just rubber hoses? Thanks!

If you are planning to use OEM or OEM replacement parts, no need to think about that. But in case if you are planning to make your own, the hose from the pump to the rack must be a high pressure hose such as PTFE hose. (#7 and #8 in the diagram below) The other hoses from the rack (Return #1/2/3/5/6) can be rubber.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If you are planning to use OEM or OEM replacement parts, no need to think about that. But in case if you are planning to make your own, the hose from the pump to the rack must be a high pressure hose such as PTFE hose. (#7 and #8 in the diagram below) The other hoses from the rack (Return #1/2/3/5/6) can be rubber.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
This is awesome! While i was looking for info I saw a lot of people just get rid of #4 entirely, that being the coolant hose. Do you have any info on that, like whether it's good or bad to keep it or not?

I would suggest staying with factory setup. One factor that should help is that the parts are not specific to the AWD model, or even just the turbo cars. This means there should be plenty of donor cars with the lines you need. As DSMPT indicated, the pressure side is the most critical. There is one hose and one hard line. The hose can still be sourced from common parts suppliers ( rock auto, probably NAPA, etc.). Unfortunately your rack may have issues that you won’t know about until you have it all hooked up. Mine leaked badly when I bought my car. Rebuilt rack was step one. Those two fittings on the rack itself are a bear to access, and I had to remove the return fitting before there was clearance for the wrench on the pressure fitting. You have to sort of lay on the intake manifold with your whole arm threaded down past many wires and vacuum lines, and such. Not much room to swing the wrench. Perhaps the right crow’s foot would help.
There are also a few small brackets that clamp the line in place to the frame. Those will be handy to obtain if yours are gone now.
There is a write up about removing the power steering, so you might look through and do the reverse of what it instructs.

The cooler can likely e deleted (or not replaced) without much ill effect. Obviously the mfr had a reason for it, but lots of other cars have power steering without such a gizmo. Do you drive in a hot place often?

The cooler can likely e deleted (or not replaced) without much ill effect. Obviously the mfr had a reason for it, but lots of other cars have power steering without such a gizmo. Do you drive in a hot place often?
No, I'm located in Washington state and the hottest it gets here is like 70 degrees in the summer so it should be fine. I also managed to source a brand new OEM rack so the entire rack is getting replaced when I start tackling this. I found a super helpful video on how to remove/re-install the rack a while back so I already have a good idea of how to do it. Thanks for the info, much appriciated!

This is awesome! While i was looking for info I saw a lot of people just get rid of #4 entirely, that being the coolant hose. Do you have any info on that, like whether it's good or bad to keep it or not?
I don't have the OEM P/S pump anymore but when I still had it, I deleted the P/S cooler tube for installing a FMIC. I had never had any issues for many years until I removed the OEM pump. I live in one of the hottest city in the world.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back