The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Power Steering Belt Issues...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdalvarez117

Supporting Member
Apr 6, 2019
Corpus Christi, Texas
Alright... I've got an interesting one for you all...

I've been working on swapping my 98 Spyder GS over to the 4g63 and I've run into a strange issue. The engine I am using came out of a 99 Spyder GST So far, every serpentine belt that I've bought for the power steering/water pump has been too long. I'm using the original p/s pump from the 4g64 fyi. But, I've gone to O'Reillys, and Autozone and picked up the belts that are for the GST (27 15/16" and 27.5" respectively), but every single one has had a ton of slack, even with the p/s pump pulled all the way forward in the bracket. Am I missing something here? The p/s bracket is original to the engine. Are there differences in the pulleys that I've missed? Spacers? I'm not gonna lie, I am frustrated and lost. I can run without p/s, but its been a frustrating adventure, I can tell you that, and I want my p/s.. What do you guys think? Did I miss something? Am I retarded?(probably). If y'all need any more info from me, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Added photos of issue
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

P/s pump is locked all the way forward in these.

Last edited:
Wow. If all else is normal, then the belts are probably incorrect ones. See if you can find the proper part number for the correct length belt on here, and just buy it by part number. That's what I always do with spark plugs. They end up asking my what make/model, and I say no, just give me the parts by the number.

Between a 4G64 and 4G63, on the DSM platform at least, both PS pump, bracket, PS pulley and water pump pulleys are all the same. The belt between them is also the same, 695mm circumference.

I really can't see what would be causing this.

Between a 4G64 and 4G63, on the DSM platform at least, both PS pump, bracket, PS pulley and water pump pulleys are all the same. The belt between them is also the same, 695mm circumference.

I really can't see what would be causing this.
Same here, I can't for the life of me understand why it's like this... and I've not been able to find a belt that fits. All of the stores I've gone to have em in 24.5 inch and smaller, then jumps to the 27.5 inch and larger.. Nothing in between.

There has to be some assembly issue. Can you get some better pics?
I can, however, it'll be quite a while as I'm stuck at work for another 10 and a half hours.. Unless I can convince the wife to do it.. 😅

Success!

The pulley under the alternator/water pump visually looks like it is smaller than 4G63-4G64 OEM pulley. The pulley on the water pump is 4-7/16 diameter & the smaller pulley for the water pump diameter is 3-11/16 measured on the outer lip. The belt number is 4040275 (27.5").

If you look up a spyder belt it's k040275 not the 40274 that you have. You used the spyder pump so I'm guessing there is a difference in pulley, bracket etc. The
spyder belt is shorter. You still need to fix that pulley too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back