The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Power Steering & AC delete?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWD Lox

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 29, 2004
Overland Park, Kansas
Ok, I am getting ready to pull and rebuild my motor and I would like to get rid of some dead weight. I have already removed the PS and AC belts, but I would like to know if I can completely remove the entire systems without any issues. If I remove the entire AC system will it affect my heating capabilities? If I want to delete the PS system can I just take off the pump and reservoir and lines? Any help would be appreciated. This is for a 1G six bolt. Thanks

Brett

as far as the AC goes you can just chuck it, won't affect anything but gives you a cleaner engine bay and better engine cooling. just leave the compressor mount on the back of the engine because your axle carrier bolts through it. And for the PS system you can just remove all the parts and leave the rack but it gets pretty stiff to turn when you aren't moving. Most opt to find a manual rack and that makes it easier to manage.

Great news. Thanks. Now which year make and model can I rob a manual rack from? When I decide to change over is it just a bolt on affair? Peace

Great how to...Now all I need to know is where to get the manual rack from and I might just do this while the motor is out of the car and on the lift...

To anyone that has removed there power steering and went with a manual steering rack what was turning like for daily driving? Do you regret not have power steering back?

My old Mirage didn't have p/s. After I sold it I got used to the ease of p/s on my Eclipse and my new Mirage. Going to the manual rack on my Eclipse was a big difference, but after a few weeks (I don't drive it on a daily basis) I was very used to it. I don't even notice it anymore.

Chris

I took out my Power Steering (Still have AC, i dont know why, i never use it, that makes the car lag)

Anyways, I dont use PS at all in my car, no Manual Rack either.

Honestly, at first its really odd when your not moving, but you get used to it FAST!

Also, it feels nice too because you feel more in control of your car especially at higher speeds (80+)

Honestly i dont think id bother with a manual rack, test it out first without your belt, give it a week of daily driving without the power steering belt on, if you think its too much, get the rack

Agree with GhostSpooLrTK.

Havent had power steering in my car since right after I got it (no manual rack either). And before that I drove a civic...

Its real easy to get use to and really fun. It can get a little annoying when you do a 3 point turn. LOL
But it doesnt bother me, and im not a big guy, all of 5'10" 140lbs..If my skinny ass likes it, anybody can get use to it.

And it feels much better at high speeds. Just wish mine was AWD to...

POWER STEERING is for ####ies LOL

i dont have that or a\c

but i love not having power steering it makes me feel ALOT more in control

Just to add in to this thread quick, having no power steering makes it harder to turn at slow speeds but that's about it. The car gives much more feedback. I mean when you get on ANY sort of slippery surface you will know it. It's fantastic in the winter or rain. You feel all the drops in traction and varying degrees of them from little slippery to OH $hit there is no traction here and I need to adjust!

It's my second favorite mod for the winter after snow tires :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back