The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Power Antenna

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleeperhemi

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 22, 2012
White Plains, Maryland
Hi folks. So I finally have all of my lighting issues resolved and working great. After putting all the interior trim panels back in the car.....I turned the radio on for a bit and the antenna went up as it should. When I was done tinkering, turned the radio off and the mast stayed up......motor for the mast is functional and you can hear it moving but the mast stays up.

Anyways...im curious to know if any of you guys have completely removed the power setup and put a fixed antenna in its place? Does it work? Ive seen a few at local parts stores what are 2 or 3 inches tall but need a flat surface to mount so they wont work where the current power mast is located. What do you guys think? Any photos would be appreciated. Also, on the power unit, the plug that send signal to the radio so your stations will play........what is that supposed to plug into? If there is supposed to be a wire that comes from the radio all the way to the back of the car and you plug the antenna adapter into it.........mine is missing. That adapter hanging from the power antenna has nothing to be plugged into.

In my car I deleted the factory antenna but it is still there and put one of those of universal power antenna behind the radio and it gets a better signal than my factory one

Im just trying to figure out how to get it to retract without breaking it.

So I've not done it, but a friend told me that there's a secondary antennae available built into the rear hatch glass. It's a smaller antennae plug left in the dash behind the stereo with a light grey wire. He said if you just get an adapter from Radio Shack or some place similar that adapts the smaller plug (which looks just like the usual antennae plug but smaller) to the larger size, you can use it with your stereo. Perhaps someone will comment on this here. I plan to give it a shot to eliminate the power antennae on my car when I get around to it.

I took my power one off after I bent it back going under a rail crossing arm. I always listen to xm, so I don't know if the signal suffered.

Replaced my power one with a fixed mast after it constantly hung up from freezing water (here in Mn winters). None of the power ones of ANY make are reliable anyway after a few years of constantly going up/down with ignition on/off. I even disabled that but it still always hung up/broke when I tryed lowering it for car washes. Never been happier since I changed to fixed. It's a 30" steel mast that fits right into the original mast hole.

Thanks guys...anyone have any input on the connection to the radio? I think Ive got an idea on replacing the antenna but now Im wondering what to do about getting the antenna attatched the the radio.....theres nothing there-

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back