The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Powdercoating exhaust?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dream On

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 6, 2003
Athens/Oxford, Ohio
Hey guys. I was looking to making a full 3" exhaust for my car based off of the Triangle Tuners web site, and I was thinking that it wouldn't hold up well where I live, where there is snow and salt. I wondered if powdercoating the exhaust would prevent it from rusting or not. I wasn't sure about how high heat it can take, and I thought it would survive longer than paint would. What do you guys suggest? If money wasn't a problem, I would get SS, but I can't see paying $7-900 for an exhaust that I can make for less than $300. Thanks.

I don't think traditional powdercoats can withstand the extreme heat of an exhaust system. Try a jet-hot coating, though. It's similar, and they claim it can be applied to headers (supposedly the hottest part of an exhaust).

http://www.jet-hot.com/

uncoated aluminized exhaust will probably out live your ownership of the car, it doesnt rust as fast as you think

Yeah, I had my full 3" turbo-back exhaust done at a local exhaust shop. Cat eliminator and did a very nice job. Only costed me $240.

pecka said:
uncoated aluminized exhaust will probably out live your ownership of the car, it doesnt rust as fast as you think

The tubing, no, but welds and flanges can be a huge problem (stupid MN salt). I would still expect it to last years. It just won't look so great.

Where can you find 3" diameter stainless pipes and bends? I've never seen straigh 3" SS pipe for sale, and I've never seen that the bends are very cheap. The underside of the car doesn't have much rust as it is, maybe the aluminized stuff would be fine?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back