The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

possibly my timing belt?? need some trust worhlthy advise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21_Eclipse

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 7, 2012
Van Nuys, California

So im leaking water for sure i saw the leaks touched it and even tasted it. The water in my "reserve tank" if you will gets pretty much drained after a day or two give it three tops after refilling. It runs good when its cold but when it gets warm it starts yanking, studderin, struggling, but not having a too hard time staying alive.

So this is what i did... to try and fix it on my thoughts on whats wrong with the car im having the timing belt and water pump replaced hope im not making a mistake :confused:
can you guys help on what else could be the problem of this.
this is my daily
if it helps my dash shows 151xxx

Its coming somewhere in the back of my engine towards the bottom but cant tell for sure it leaks on my timing belt which shoots up the water

Thanks.
How about the yanking and pulling when it gets warm but doesnt overheat??

So the water pump would be the problem if not the head gasket is what ir saying right??

Regardless of what it really is, you're on the right track. You don't want to run a timing belst that's had anything leak onto it. When you start getting into it I would say clean everything before starting, and then take as much apart as you can while keeping the car still able to run. So if you can get timing covers off and whatever else, that would help to pinpoint your leak. Making sure that you don't put a new tbelt on just to have more coolant leak onto it because the water pump leak wasn't the only one. But more than likely water pump is all it is, IMO.

Thank you guys once again. Will anything happen if i leave my covers off?

ya..rock get kicked up there by the tires in the belt area, rips the belt apart and pistons will destroy the valves in the head if you leave the timing covers off.

Get the leak fixed first then put things back together.

Ok i will put everything back. Thanx guys you have been helpful i got my questions answered and some.

It's definately better to have covers on. Especially daily driving. Some leave the top part of theirs off just to visually see the timing belt. Leaving it on is definately best bet though. It's not very time consuming to remove once you've done it a few times :D

Yea i gotta do it a first time in order to do it a couple times but ima try

So does anyone have some pretty close ideas about the studdering or yanking, mostly jerking when it gets warm i floor it and my RPMs go up and down like crazy and my exhaust start popping like a fake drive by. if it helps i will try and detail it for you guys let me know

Ok so my water pump and timing belt are replaced but its still yanking the mechanic said it is a "loss of power" problem anyone know what this powr leakage might be coming from?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back