The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Possible to change the actual transistors inside the "transistor module"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GooeyGus

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 23, 2009
Marysville, Washington
Hi Everyone,
I was brainstorming tonight, and I wondered if anyone has ever tried to crack open the ignition transistor module and change the actual transistors inside??

A two dollar transistor or two seems a lot cheaper than $100 for a new unit.

Has anyone ever cracked one of these open? Any pictures? I'm sure with a bit of research we could find some matching transistors and we would have a cheaper fix on our hands, if it is possible to get inside the unit to change them.

I have pulled one of them apart and the transistors are welded onto the aluminuim plate ,there is no part # on those peices . the traces are spot welded to the part and the unit is covered in a gel type silicone to restrict water .the parts inside arn,t accessable to the public .

I have pulled one of them apart and the transistors are welded onto the aluminuim plate ,there is no part # on those peices . the traces are spot welded to the part and the unit is covered in a gel type silicone to restrict water .the parts inside arn,t accessable to the public .

I had a feeling they would do that.

Well I guess I'm just going to try to
make my own then!

Anyone have any idea on the amount of current that flows through those transistors?

On one car that I MegaSquirt'ed, I replaced the transistor pack with a pair of power transistors from Digikey.com. (Directly inside the MS) Basically they are just high-watt NPN transistors that are well-potted. Actually replacing them is easy if you can solder. (Not weld) You can find schematics online.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back