The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Possible straight 50 50 transfer case Bad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jokerzlife

10+ Year Contributor
May 5, 2009
cut bank, Montana
HI just got my awd fixed on my car and the cold start problem fixed. first thing i noticed while turning on asphalt it kinda feels like a 4x4 is locked in is this normal? like the wheels are fighting each other and if not would it hurt my car since its a light car? 1997 eagle talon tsi awd

HI just got my awd fixed on my car and the cold start problem fixed. first thing i noticed while turning on asphalt it kinda feels like a 4x4 is locked in is this normal? like the wheels are fighting each other and if not would it hurt my car since its a light car? 1997 eagle talon tsi awd
What do you mean just got your awd fixed? What got fixed?

the front left intermediate shaft was missing the very end right where the c clip was and kept falling off so i replaced it. i can't say i heard anything bad just tire noise. i dont think they welded center dif since the car is completely stock, atleast from what i see. but i've read alot about the vc failing and when it does usually you end up with either fwd or rwd from that it kinda stumps me. can't find anything on one seized up. also doesn't feel like anything slipping when i give it WOT from a stand still.

Last edited:
i could just lift the front end of the car and spin the wheel and watch the other wheel if it spins the other direction i assume its fine and if it doesn't move its seized, at least to test the broken or seized gear part. not sure if it will work but asking for your thoughts on testing it that way? i assume it should act like a open differential with the vehicle in gear and spin opposite directions. one more question. the vc and the front diffrential both get there power from the output shaft correct? like they shouldn't interact with eachother. FYI when the front left cv shaft was disconnected it still sent power to the rear wheels and drove. enough power to do a rolling burnout in some moist conditions not sure if thats normal.

Last edited:
Worth a try. The rears will still spin, but since there is no road resistance, the center diff shouldn't be a factor in troubleshooting. You may need someone to hold the other front wheel as you turn it, just in case.

Since i have to do the timing belt and water pump. I will be doing all front suspension and steering parts. it kinda looks like it would be easy to pull the end cover off the transmission with it in the car after i would've removed all the front upper and lower control arms. Looking to pull the center differential to weld it up. is there any conflicting problems that anyone has come across doing it this way?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back