The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Possible Crank walk

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1995TaLoNDSM

Probationary Member
May 13, 2008
Naperville, Illinois
So I've had my car for about 2 years now, it's been a long time project car. I bought the car to work on the side, and eventually get running one of these days. Well the day has come that after the car has been sitting for almost 3 years it actually started. I bought a new crank sensor and cam sensor ngk plugs and Bosch platinum spark plugs. I found out my tensioner was bad so I replaced it with a Dayco one.

Timed the car, installed the tensioner, and tried cranking it a few times. After about 2 minutes it started, and unfortunately it sounds like crank walk. I don't want to jump to conclusions that it is crank walk, but it just sounds terrible and unhealthy when it starts. I push the clutch in to start it and I hold the clutch down, it goes up to 1500 rpm's and then it cuts out. I tried starting it again giving it a little gas in the process, and it starts fine but when I start to let the clutch out, the car dies.

When I start it there is smoke that is coming from the engine near the intake manifold on the passenger side of the car. When I start the car there is a loud knocking noise, but I can't diagnose where it is, because the car will not hold at an idle. If i rev the engine when it starts for that 20 seconds or so, the knocking becomes worse and louder. I'm praying to god this isn't crank walk.

When i bought it, I got it for 600 dollars non running, I couldn't pass up that offer. 2 years ago I really hadn't been that much into cars, and I bought it. When I bought it it had a snapped timing belt, and some bent valves, replaced all of those and the crank and cam sensors.

What is your guy's input on my situation
thanks for your time,
Tyler
P.S. I can record a video of it going down tonight, and then post the video tomorrow morning.

Really? Your blaming this on crankwalk? Crankwalk is in other words a thrust bearing failure, how can a thrust bearing create all the symptons your saying? Its knocking, smoking, and you just did a timing job. Did you time it right? It sat for a long time, maybe you should bleed the lifters. Have you even measured the crank end-play. Seriously man, dont just blame everything on crankwalk, just because for some weird odd reason Dee-Ess-Ems are notorious for crankwalk(thats sarcasm).

Really? Your blaming this on crankwalk? Crankwalk is in other words a thrust bearing failure, how can a thrust bearing create all the symptons your saying? Its knocking, smoking, and you just did a timing job. Did you time it right? It sat for a long time, maybe you should bleed the lifters. Have you even measured the crank end-play. Seriously man, dont just blame everything on crankwalk, just because for some weird odd reason Dee-Ess-Ems are notorious for crankwalk(thats sarcasm).

well sorry I posted this on three sites and so far this is the only sight were someone gave me shit. I said in the title possible crank walk. When I bought the car the t-belt was snapped by the previous owner and the crank sensor was shit, isn't it crankwalk that can break the sensor? and yes the timing is right, maybe a tooth off, I'll check later and let you know how do I bleed the lifters this is my first dsm and I've never done that before.

Get a set of 3g lifters if you dont already have them. My friends car did the exact same thing and it was from the belt skiping 1 tooth. 1 tooth was enough to cause the piston to hit a valve but not bend it. Strangly enough his turbo blew right after we fixed his timing problem though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back