The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Possible bent valves

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triggerx

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 15, 2009
Gilbert, Arizona
Im guessing I have bent valves somewhere ### the belt slipped some teeth because of the oil pump sprocket nut. The car starts up fine, but the exhaust seems like its getting "wet" and is smoking a lot where the turbo is.Im also hearing whining metal noise as if a door henge is squealing. Also the car accelerates very sluggishly while sounding like a go kart when accelerating.

Anyways what do I need to complete this job? And what valves should I get?

Have you retimed the car? Or did you just start running it with a timing belt that slipped?

Try timing it first and see if you lucked out. More than likely you didn't.

Yeah I retimed It, and so far no luck. Im thinking im out of luck on this one, this car is frustrating. So now I have to take that Head off again.

BTW is it okay if I reuse all my gaskets?
Headgasket, valve cover gasket, etc? They all have less than a mile on them

I would do a leak down test immediately before you run the motor any further. If you can't afford a leak tester you can buy a cheap compression tester and see what your compression is on each cylinder. Generally, i have head that skipping up to 3 tooth on the gears is a maximum. If you skipped that much i would redo the timing and then check for compression.

I wouldn't reuse the headgasket. The rest I would.

Looks like it's time to figure out what you did wrong with your timing job that caused this to happen.

I wouldn't reuse the headgasket. The rest I would.

Looks like it's time to figure out what you did wrong with your timing job that caused this to happen.

Im thinking it was just caused by the oil pump sprocket nut messing up the belt and causing it to slip

So im looking at these, anybody run a set of these valves at all from parts dinosaur?
Do you all recommend I replace all of the valves at once? Or just what is needed?

Any stock valve should do, especially on a stock car.

I would have the machine shop look at the head and replace valves as needed, and use what is good on the head. It'll end up saving you money.

Thats what I dont understand, though, do stock valves even exist? I havent seen a set of mitsubishi oem valves on any site, so Im curious as to what are "Stock"valves

Yea the car is pretty much stock, Im not planning anything over 320hp honestly.

So far Im just running a Dejon Intake pipe, 3" exhaust, and a small 16g turbo, aftermarket FPR,and an mbc. Nothing heavys been done to the car except all maintenance work, just replaced all the seals i could.

I didn't necessarily mean stock as in OEM. I just mean a generic set of valves that are the same as what comes OEM. I would imagine whatever you found on parts dinosaur would be fine.

FWIW, I just acquired a 92 laser that had the belt teeth strip at the crank gear, and lucky me, no bent valves. Pop the valve cover off, look at the springs. If the spring is compressed when the lobe is up, or your "rockers" are loose,= bent valve.

Thats what I dont understand, though, do stock valves even exist? I havent seen a set of mitsubishi oem valves on any site, so Im curious as to what are "Stock"valves

Yea the car is pretty much stock, Im not planning anything over 320hp honestly.

So far Im just running a Dejon Intake pipe, 3" exhaust, and a small 16g turbo, aftermarket FPR,and an mbc. Nothing heavys been done to the car except all maintenance work, just replaced all the seals i could.

There are many aftermarket companies that manufacture stock-type replacement valves. The machine shop that's doing the work for you should be able to acquire a set for you at a reasonable price.

Check rockauto for the valves if you are just looking for some stock replacements.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back