The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

possible bad freeze plug?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeclipseFTW

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 12, 2009
Lees Summit, Missouri
is this what a leaking freeze plug looks like? i need to find my leak!!! help please.

Attachments

• JUST TAKEN! 047.jpg
    JUST TAKEN! 047.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 243
  • JUST TAKEN! 048.jpg
    JUST TAKEN! 048.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 237
  • JUST TAKEN! 050.jpg
    JUST TAKEN! 050.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 211
  • JUST TAKEN! 046.jpg
    JUST TAKEN! 046.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 561
Does not appear to be coolant. Appears to be oil most likely from your valve cover gasket which is a common occurrence.

Actually, the plug pictured is only in existance to seal off the holes left from the sand cores used to form the internal passages. They are called "expansion" plugs, "core" plugs, and some people call them "frost" plugs.. an actual Freeze plug is a special plug that you can put in blocks that are made to expand easier than a core plug to relieve pressure when the water freezes. They are usually something you have to put in yourself when you rebuild a motor.

Core plug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

by the way, love the orange color combo on your 1g!

So not the plug ok. There appears to be some leakage behind one of the cam gears on the valvE cover gasket but I have all the timing shit off. What if that valve cover gasket isn't the the leak?

So not the plug ok. There appears to be some leakage behind one of the cam gears on the valvE cover gasket but I have all the timing shit off. What if that valve cover gasket isn't the the leak?

Only other leak sources are the cam seals, and the galley plugs(small allen head bolts)

Yeah pretty much those are your only options for oil leaking that high. While the timing belt is off change the cam seals, you'll have to replace the valvecover gasket once you take it off anyway so kill both jobs at the same time 45 minutes max even for the worst mechanic.

No, it won't be that obvious, Being that the timing belt is in there moving, it will be grabbing the oil and flinging it everywhere. So it can be hard to pinpoint the exact leak. I'd definetly replace all the seals on the timing side and go from there. Clean everything up real well also.

The main seal and the oilpump seal are new. Bse kit new also. No leakage under main seal or oil pump seal... So cam seals and valve cover? I hope that will do it!!

Is there a galley plug that faces up on the oilpump housing? There is ALOT of oil concentrated on it. At least it looks like a galley plug... Is that an easy fix? Does it just unscrew? Thanks for all the tips guys.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back