1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

POS Carbon Creations hood

Posted by PlanZero, Aug 17, 2018

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. PlanZero

PlanZero Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2013
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Carbon creations by extreme dimensions thoroughly suck ass. I went with them for a few reasons that are inconsequential at this point. Besides having the typical carbon hood fitment issues, now I have this. First it looked like spots were appearing on the hood then what I thought was just bugs and dirt is actually the finish streaking and turning to this white ashy substance. 20180817_161653.jpg 20180817_161608.jpg 15345375664641331347124.jpg The weave still looks okay but the gel or clear coat is definitely f'ed up. Also check out the weirf black square appearing above the fuse box area. Any advice? Should I get it re clear coated or just paint it black? Won't the paint spiderweb with the flex of the hood?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018

Street Build 4K  8

1996 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 2K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    automatic · 2G DSM
  2. zedicus

zedicus Proven Member

Joined Aug 4, 2011
    Garden city, Kansas
    Did you happen to put any thermal shield on the under side of your expensive cf hood? Have you ever waxed the topside with even a cheap turtle wax? I am going to guess both answers are no. Want to save it before it looks like sun burned crap? It will probably take a weekend worth of work and you need to get a roll of thermal stick on shield off of amazon pretty quick. You might get away with diamond cut compound, a buffer, glaze, then wax. If you get to working on it soon.

Or paint it. It will not crack if done correctly.

Street Build 583  1

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    RipperXX and SAKJR like this.
  3. lasthope05

lasthope05 Proven Member

Joined Mar 31, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Its normal. This happens to all fiberglass/carbon hoods that are not painted. Either have it buffed out and constantly waxed(will still oxidized but not as fast) or have it clear coated with 2k urethane.

PlanZero and SAKJR like this.
  4. Archer Fabrications

Archer Fabrications Supporting Vendor

Joined May 9, 2011
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    They do suck. I had to get a refund for mine because it was bowed and didn’t sit proper. They made me cut it up and send pix before receiving the refund.... went with vis after that and have zero complaints. Vis is great quality... I live in arizona also.. and I dont have fading, yellowing, bubbling, or anything wrong. Thing still looks new and it’s about 5 years old.

482  7

2006 Evo 9 MR
    awd · manual · Lancer Evolution
    Doubleot likes this.
  5. PlanZero

PlanZero Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2013
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    You should know better than to assume anything. Of course i have a heat barrier. The self stick kind used on motorcycles. I also waxed it with mothers hard wax. I used meguiar's ultimate compound to no avail. I wasn't going to use a stronger cutting compound until I figured out what was going on. The damage appears to be within the gel coat and coming from underneath so I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to sand and reclear. I just want to make sure it won't happen again after doing so.

Ironically the fact they do returns this way if the hood doesn't fit certain parameters led me to buy it as well as the fact I couldn't wait for the seibon hood.

I don't agree that this happens to all cf hoods. If you park outside and have no heat barrier of course it will fade. On my hood within a few heat cycles spots started forming on the hood and progressively got worse.

I'm not even a big fan of "cf" hoods on a street car. I just needed a hood ASAP and this was cheaper that a new OEM hood and paint.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018

Street Build 4K  8

1996 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 2K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    automatic · 2G DSM
    Archer Fabrications likes this.
  6. Archer Fabrications

Archer Fabrications Supporting Vendor

Joined May 9, 2011
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    For what it’s worth... I dont have heat barriers on my hood either. Ive ran bottom mount manifolds with runners close, and top mount manifolds with the turbine housing close to the hood, never an issue. Extreme dimentions/carbon creations is just lacking in quality all around. I only got a carbon hood for the same reason, after a minor fender bender, the carbon was
    Cheaper then a new hood and paint. But after trashing the ED and going to vis. I would not hesitate to buy a second VIS if ever needed, they have a metal hood latch, and also come with wiper nozzle holes. I’m sure seibon is just as good, I but i dont have personal experience woth that brand

482  7

2006 Evo 9 MR
    awd · manual · Lancer Evolution
    PlanZero likes this.
  7. PlanZero

PlanZero Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2013
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the tip! Yeah definitely vis or seibon for the next one. I'm going to look into getting this one painted or recleared but I'm not a big fan of polishing a turd. It sucks because I've only had the hood for a year and maybe 500 miles. Maybe just vinyl wrap it in black (or fake cf LOL) until i feel like dropping more dough on aesthetics.

Street Build 4K  8

1996 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 2K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    automatic · 2G DSM
  8. zedicus

zedicus Proven Member

Joined Aug 4, 2011
    Garden city, Kansas
    VIS and Seibon do use a lot better resin in their products. they resist UV degradation about 10x better than the ebay clones. typically if the person wants it painted to match the car i recommend the ebay clones and then after fitting and prep work and a heat barrier is installed they last a long time. if you want to actually leave it CF then i recommend one of the higher quality vendors.

either way it will need buffed and waxed at some point. how often is depended on the resin used and its ability to hold up in UV and heat.

Street Build 583  1

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM