The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Porting Results

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mindset

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 3, 2009
Brunswick, Ohio
I just ported my 14b and my 2g exhaust manifold to fit a 7cm gasket. I also ported the runners of the exhaust manifold. Since my car is stock, how much of a HP/TQ increase can I expect? I seen another forum where a guy gained 20+hp but I'm sure he has other mods.

Thanks.

It depends a lot on how much other stuff you have done. If you are running almost stock boost there's probably very little if any benefit. If you're running as much boost as that turbo can put out, you'll have reasonable gains. Porting the runners is most likely a waste of time though. When I ported my exhaust manifold outlet to match the housing of my Evo3 16G turbo, I gained airflow that would suggest little over a 10hp gain.

It depends a lot on how much other stuff you have done. If you are running almost stock boost there's probably very little if any benefit. If you're running as much boost as that turbo can put out, you'll have reasonable gains. Porting the runners is most likely a waste of time though. When I ported my exhaust manifold outlet to match the housing of my Evo3 16G turbo, I gained airflow that would suggest little over a 10hp gain.

Ok. Yea my car doesn't even have gauges or an MBC. But those will be my first mods. I heard I get a quicker spool, about 400 RPM. Is that true?

You provide no pictures and a vague description of what kind of porting you have done and ask us how much hp/tq you're going to make?

You provide no pictures and a vague description of what kind of porting you have done and ask us how much hp/tq you're going to make?

Wow I love how polite some people are. What is there to tell? I ported it to 7 cm. I'd get pictures but I can't find the battery to my camera. I'll be ordering a new battery soon.

I just ported my 14b and my 2g exhaust manifold to fit a 7cm gasket. I also ported the runners of the exhaust manifold. Since my car is stock, how much of a HP/TQ increase can I expect? I seen another forum where a guy gained 20+hp but I'm sure he has other mods.

Thanks.

I think you will see more of a torque increase oppose to hp increase. Reason the turbo will spool quicker(more in the torque band) so you definitely feel the difference than see a hp increase. Just my $.02 ;)

Wow I love how polite some people are. What is there to tell? I ported it to 7 cm. I'd get pictures but I can't find the battery to my camera. I'll be ordering a new battery soon.

Tim is just being direct, some people can't handle that I guess. Anyway, this is the equivalent of bench racing. Porting is much more involved (albeit, not much more involved on simple pieces like exhaust components), so your answer cannot be answered unless you go on a dyno or do some sort of VE test. My speculation would be that you'd be better off losing 5 lbs of weight versus trying to guess how much hp/tq you've made. When porting, you're really doing it more for exhaust direction and flow versus an actual power gain.

Porting a 6cm housing to 7cm is pointless, if anything you'll lose spool because you hurt velocity. The reason 7cm and larger housings use a larger inlet diameter is because the scroll of the turbine housing is larger and can benefit from the additional flow. Opening up your 6cm doesn't make it equivalent to a 7cm housing. FYI, many of the fastest 14b cars ran unported 6cm hotsides.

Tim is just being direct, some people can't handle that I guess. Anyway, this is the equivalent of bench racing. Porting is much more involved (albeit, not much more involved on simple pieces like exhaust components), so your answer cannot be answered unless you go on a dyno or do some sort of VE test. My speculation would be that you'd be better off losing 5 lbs of weight versus trying to guess how much hp/tq you've made. When porting, you're really doing it more for exhaust direction and flow versus an actual power gain.

Yes, I understand, but he could have said it differently. Oh well, I don't really care though. Thanks for the reply though. I just figured porting it would help it spool quicker due to a larger area to flow through after porting.

OP: Thanks for the replies. I still got some porting experience out of it, so I didn't completely take a loss. Wasn't as hard as I thought but is messy. I'll get some picks of my turbo up to get some opinions in a couple days.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back