The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Popping sound while turning,help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cesarlcase

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 29, 2009
lynbrook, New_York
Guys, i need some assistance. 2 days ago I changed the passenger side axle and inner/outer tie rod. After getting my alignment, I realize my steering wheel doesnt return to me when I turn. Also, prior to changing the axle and tie rods, when turning I would hear a "ping" sound and after changing it, sounds like a "pop". Can you guys point me in the right direction? 98 Gsx

First check and make sure your wheels are bolted on properly. If that is not the issue I would check your cv axles and hubs. If your wheel was lose this could explain your wheel not returning as the wheel could have been tilted while aligned causing it to be misaligned. Try to pin point which side the poping is from as well.

Jack up the front of the car and spin front wheels by hand while listening for the noise. At least this way it will be easier to find the source. Also if it's multiple clicks/pops, then it's most likely the CV shaft or something in the driveline. If it's a single click/pop, chances are you are having issues with steering or suspension. Could be something as simple as a loose fastener. Would guess that it's something in the steering since the sound changed after replacing one of the moving parts and the noise is only heard during turning.

I failed to mention that when I go over bumps I hear a squeak sound, similar to that of an old matteress... damn these money pits

Yup. It's usually the lower ones that go. Theres a curved and straight arm that would need to be replaced. Its easy as long as you lube everything up and the nuts don't make the rest of the assembly spin when you're loosening them its very easy.

Ceasarlcase, Please fill out your vehicle profile so we can better assist you.
Ensure the axle has been fully seated. If you had bad balljoints, the alignment shop should have noticed and would have likely refused to align the car. This does not mean they aren't bad.
Did you get an alignment print out? Barring something being loose or damaged, a poor alignment would certainly give you the impression that your wheel isn't returning to center the way it should. It should be noted that the majority of lateral arm balljoint symptoms are sudden failure, rather than sluggish steering wheel. Often a squeak/honk can be heard when turning the wheel while stationary but sometimes an owner is unaware of the issue until the balljoint separates from the arm.

A pry bar may be necessary to detect play in the later arm ball joint. As far as replacement? It's easier than the tie rods you just did. 3 nuts, 2 bolts. :)

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back