The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Popping noise at full boost..whats goin on?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boostcreepgsx

Probationary Member
Sep 12, 2004
carol stream, Illinois
i just completed the stage 1 setup with a small 16g, and a 255 pump, with the rest of the supporting mods. and @ 16psi, there is a popping sound, from the exhaust, as the rpm's go up, and after it shifts. (automatic) But it only seems like it does it after 2 or 3, 16psi pulls. Just out of curiosity, i plugged in my data logger, and my intake temp was at about 130. Could that have anything to do with it?

Boostcreepgsx said:
i just completed the stage 1 setup with a small 16g, and a 255 pump, with the rest of the supporting mods. and @ 16psi, there is a popping sound, from the exhaust, as the rpm's go up, and after it shifts. (automatic) But it only seems like it does it after 2 or 3, 16psi pulls. Just out of curiosity, i plugged in my data logger, and my intake temp was at about 130. Could that have anything to do with it?
The intake temp is a little high but has nothing to do with your problem. First check your plugs and wires and replace them if they have alot of miles on them. Turing up the boost puts more pressure on the ignition system to fire so any weakness will show in the upper RPM band and under high boost. I would run the NGK cheap coppers (6 )Gap your plugs at .028
I would start there it sounds like you are misfireing under boost and is a common problem on engines that have stock original ignition.
Also check all of your intercooler pipe hose conections.
No worrys its just something simpe. ;)

Do a boost leak check. Go to www.vfaq.com to find out how to make a tester. If thats not the problem it would probably be ignition related. Change the plugs and wires. For plugs use NGK7's. They are the best.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back