The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Popping clunking suspension noise need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonydl

Probationary Member
May 3, 2021
Prineville, Oregon
Ok so i have a 97 eclipse gst and occasionally coming to a stop it sounds like driver side is popping or clunking almost like a engine mount all mounts have been changed and checked they all are good.next i do need my suspension done for sure but this is my first dsm and so im learning as i go,my question is,besides the ball joints or cv axles what could be causing this strange clunking noise any and all information or suggestions to what it could be would be helpful? Also just included a picture of my car.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Check your sway bar end links. The nuts are notorious for stripping when being removed and reinstalled and then don't get torqued down correctly.

Also the sway bar holding bushings which easily get torn up so the bar is clunking against the holding bracket. Also if the DIY camber bolt/washer mod was done, the bolts often work loose (especially if they were not long enough or too long where they bottomed out). And know that clunking sound gets transmitted easily to where you think it's in front where it can actually be in the rear.

Check all joints as one of them could be loose. You say its slower coming to a stop which is odd as you would hear most noises most of the time if its always doing it. Does it do anything when doing turns or just on straight roads

If you open the door and use it as a lever, you can slowly wiggle the car up and down, and another person can listen on the suspension parts where the noise is coming from.

It's the easiest way to locate such noises, without lifting the car.

In my shop I do it every time, when a customer states with suspension noises.

Your head wont fit under it,as for suspension wise i bought the car for way to much money aka being dumb,and it has a reconstructed title,so needless to say yes i still wanted it amd well ive paid the price and pay the price daily still LOL,i currently have the multiple cylinder misfire code,i figured out im pretty sure my bar that runs underneath my car is deffenlty not the right one or something car was hit in the front driver side i do belive,buuuuut,since this post,i just did timing water pump and had to buy a new radiator,ive done plugs,wires,new k&N cold air intake filter which is stupid cause its specialty or some shit i do belive its a 5½ in?idk im gonna do a boost leak test later today again,but as far as the clunking goes i think it was my engine mount,but heres the thing its my 3 or 4th front engine mount bracket and ive switched my rear one once.....idk but damn LOL....also the only upgrade ive done was revised lifters,and new camshafts B.C 268/272 so yep fun fun thanks all!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back