The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Pop Quiz

will it read rich or lean

• Rich

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Lean

Votes: 13 43.3%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Actually, it depends on what o2 sensor your talking about, (2g's have 2) and it depends on if it's a lean misfire or what kind of misfire. :dsm:

I can tell you what your 5-gas readings will be for either a lean misfire or a rich misfire. :cool:

But like the other guy said, the o2 reading depends on if it's a lean or rich misfire.

FourG63 97GST said:
FYI,the answer is Lean
Ummm, not neccesarily!!! There is a reason that catalytic convertors glow orange and can catch grass and the car on fire when you have a engine that is misfiring. Misfiring generally causes a rich condition. In GM automobiles with obd2 the cel will actually flash during a rich condition to warn you that the catalytic converter is being threatened by the misfire's rich condition. :dsm:

Like this:

Attachments

• manual.jpg
    manual.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 107
BISHILVR said:
Ummm, not neccesarily!!! There is a reason that catalytic convertors glow orange and can catch grass and the car on fire when you have a engine that is misfiring. Misfiring generally causes a rich condition. In GM automobiles with obd2 the cel will actually flash during a rich condition to warn you that the catalytic converter is being threatened by the misfire's rich condition. :dsm:

that has nothing to do with the question :)
its simple, would the O2 sensor read rich or lean during a misfire

FourG63 97GST said:
that has nothing to do with the question :)
its simple, would the O2 sensor read rich or lean during a misfire
Wtf is that supposed to mean??? Did you not read my post or did you just not understand what i was getting at??? THE CAR WILL USUALLY RUN RICH AND SHOW A RICH CONDITION ON THE O2. There is that simple enough for you to understand? Unless the misfire is a LEAN MISFIRE, where the car will then have a lean o2 reading. Period, point blank. :barf: :dsm:

BISHILVR said:
Wtf is that supposed to mean??? Did you not read my post or did you just not understand what i was getting at??? THE CAR WILL USUALLY RUN RICH AND SHOW A RICH CONDITION ON THE O2. There is that simple enough for you to understand? Unless the misfire is a LEAN MISFIRE, where the car will then have a lean o2 reading. Period, point blank. :barf: :dsm:

I totally agree, which is why I voted rich. FourG63 97GST, please provide an explanation to your post. What do you mean it has nothing to do with your question? :| Explain.

yes I read post. here's my 2 cents.

O2 aka OXYGEN sensor, doesn't measure fuel in the exhaust, it means oxygen, believe it or not. so when a car misfires, the both unburnt Fuel and Oxygen in the exhaust.
unfortunately the O2( oxygen) sensor doesn't measure fuel. so it sees the extra unburnt oxygen.
Ok, yes it will be rich also. but thats not the question . its what would the O2 sensor read :)

FourG63 97GST said:
yes I read post. here's my 2 cents.

O2 aka OXYGEN sensor, doesn't measure fuel in the exhaust, it means oxygen, believe it or not. so when a car misfires, the both unburnt Fuel and Oxygen in the exhaust.
unfortunately the O2( oxygen) sensor doesn't measure fuel. so it sees the extra unburnt oxygen.
Ok, yes it will be rich also. but thats not the question . its what would the O2 sensor read :)
Yes, but when the car runs rich it uses all of the oxygen and still has left over fuel, but no left over oxygen since the mixture burnt as completely as the amount of oxygen available would allow. Aka no left over oxygen but left over fuel. Sensor measures no oxygen and sends a rich reading. :dsm:

Trust me, i use a five gas analyzer almost every stinking day to re-jet carbs with.

Lol, defiant you always know just the right thing to say :D . I just looked back at my post's and I came off like a real a$$, I guess i could have put it a better way, I was'nt trying to come off like that at all, but i thought i was being called out. Anyway, just think about what i'm saying Fourg63, and see if it doesnt make some sense. ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back