The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

poor performance

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilnicky

Probationary Member
Apr 7, 2005
lindenhurst, New_York
I just got a 98 gsx looks like it has some work done to it. Like boosters but unfortantly I still dont know enough about anything yet. Anyways my question is the car is getting really bad gas mileage... like 11mpg if that much.. has a little bit of white smoke coming out of the back and honestly does not feel fast at all. My friends nissan spec V beat me the other day and I know I should burn him. Where should I start looking to find out what the problem is? Any ideas would be great.

dave99gst said:
if sure would help if we new what was done to the car.

um well I know it has boost controles... it has a on off switch inside the car of it just simple toggle switch which when u follow the wire it goes to the boost controls. I dont know how to set them or what they should be set at so I just have left that switch off till I find out. It has a after market turbo gauge and air fuel mixture gauge. Other then that I dont think it has anything. Except for exhaust 2.5 inch pipe from the downpipe back with a highflow cat.

Start with a boost leak and a compression test, If both checks out, follow it up with a complete tune up. More info would also help, ie boost/rpm relations, vented bov.....etc. Take it easy until than, it's slow because it's trying to tell you something. Good luck,

try putting water in where you put your oil.

kidding but sell the car, if you dont even know what a boost controller is you do not need that car...jesus christ i wish my parents spoiled me with a 98 gsx, with a 6 bolt :cool:

My advice is to start with figuring out what the hell is going on with your boost controller, mabe have a knowledgable frined look at it. Then do a complete tune-up, plugs, wires, oil change, coolant flush.....etc.

I was surprsed at how much better my car ran after just doing the simple, often overlooked things

:thumb:

kidding but sell the car, if you dont even know what a boost controller is you do not need that car...jesus christ i wish my parents spoiled me with a 98 gsx, with a 6 bolt :cool:[/QUOTE]

relax man i paid for the car in full myself my parents didnt get me it and i know what boost controllers are. But i will admit i dont know alot bout cars learning quick. All i was sayin bout the boost controller is its all hooked up but doesnt do a damn thing. Cant figure out if its hooked up wrong or not set right and i dont know how to set them. I did run a boost leak test and found a bad leak from the bov so I fixed that. The car still is slow as ass off the line so I'm gonna do the simple shit everyone keeps sayin. And what kinda plugs and wires does everyone recommend. The ngk are pretty much the best to go with with like 8mm wires good? Or should I get a bigger set of wires?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back