The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Poor idle/running rich from bad o2 sensor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vpr131

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 9, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Hey guys,
After starting up my dsm, it idles pretty high and eventually comes down after about 10 minutes of driving. However, after this amount of time at a stop/idle, it begins to choke and go down to about 300rpms, almost die, and then come back up again. It will repeat this process until it eventually turns off. Also, when I am driving, if I go in to neutral, sometimes the rpm's will fall down all the way and the car will completely shut off.

I originally thought it was a vacuum leak (it may still be although I have checked most hoses), loose clamps, or even bad gaskets. I recently checked for codes and I found that the o2 sensor is bad. Could this be the reason for my bad idle and extremely rich condition. I am blowing lots of black smoke out of my exhaust upon hard acceleration. Thanks

With a bad o2 sensor the ecu will lock itself in open loop mode creating a very rich mixture to prevent damage to the motor. So order and install the new o2 first, because it says it's bad, and go from there. I had a similar issue and it solved it for me. So start there and see what you're left with.

Also is your bov recirculated? And if it's not are you running a maf with a translator? You should update your profile with your mods so we can help some more

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back