The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Pocketlogger w/Treo 650 cell phone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jafro

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 15, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
Before anyone goes nuts and locks this thread or thinks I have a Treo 650 phone/Pocketlogger combo, I don't. I have no clue if this could even be a possibility. That's why I'm here. Some of you are probably going to think I'm an idiot. I want to find a way to log my 95 GSX with a cell phone.

Handspring has re-tooled the Treo 600. The new Handspring Treo 650 runs Palm OS 5.4, has twice the display area (allowing it to run standard Palm apps in their native resolutions), and from what I've heard, the data port is different from the older Treo 600 and 300. It's a bad-ass phone. Bluetooth, USB, IR, email, web access, 1.3 megapixel camera, video capabilities, Palm PDA, QWERTY keyboard, and the 300x300 pixel touchscreen doesn't even require using a stylus.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That phone costs as much as DSMlink... which I've been considering buying.

The website for pocketlogger.com states that they don't support Handspring Treo devices, but I can only assume that was because the older devices displays were only 150x150 pixels, or possibly some goofy proprietary connector on it, or both. Both of these technologies have been revised, and it has been verified that the new data connector does not fit the old proprietary Treo 600 accessories. Maybe, just maybe, this data port is now something standard? Something that can be adapted to a pocketlogger cable? Who knows? The phone is vaporware until sometime near the end of this month. I can't find any specs on its data connector to see if it could be adapted.

I have a bluetooth equipped PowerBook G4 which that phone will work wirelessly with (and would be extremely useful to me), but my Mac won't help me log my car. If a phone that sync's wirelessly with my Mac could help me tune my car, I HAVE to have it. I want to make it happen. I know an old palm100 can be had for under $20 on eBay, so if I can't, it's not a total loss of a pocketlogger cable. I just think it would me amazingly cool if I could tune my 10-year old DSM with my cell phone. I can't find any technical contact information for the guys at pocketlogger.com to make inquiries regarding the possibility of this ever happening, or if the changes that Handspring made to the hardware would have any affect.

So... I'm probably dreaming... but if anyone has any technical contact info for pocketlogger, or if anyone else gains any knowledge about what this phone's data port is or what adapters may become available that could make these two technologies come together... or if anyone is already tuning their DSM with their phone post that info here. I'll be your best friend.

Bringing this one back from the dead...

I managed to get "DSM Logger" and "MMCd" onto my Treo 650 without even trying, literally. Both programs can be opened and all seems well.

On my computer I had an older version of palm desktop that I used with an M100, so when I installed the new software, the programs that were on the older version ended up on my phone. I hotsynced and there they were.

Has anyone sucessfully logged with their Treo?

~Mark

Nevermind, unless someone has an idea how to convert a male USB port to a female SPT 1550.

I have been successful in tuning with my treo 650. I actually still have the serial cable. I no longer use the phone as it was starting to freeze all the time. But for everyone to know. It is possible to tune using the treo 650.

I know this is old buy where did you get the serial cable? Im buying a 650 on monday. I figured i need a logger and a new phone so why not get one that does both.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back