The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Plexi glass rear hatch......

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white 90 gsx

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 4, 2002
ft lauderdale, Florida
Would it be a good idea to get rid of the glass window in the back hatch and replace it with plexi glass being that the hatch on a 90 gsx is so heavy? Or is it a bad thing to do?

Sounds like a good idea to save weight, but is it legal? Jake

I have read in some japanese magazine that those plexi or lexan windows comes tinted... or at least in japan they do... so it should be possible to get them tinted here as well...

it is not a film of tint by the way, it is already mixed into the plexit or lexan itself.

does anybody have any idea how many lbs it would save...and if it would be possible to integrate the defroster into it?

i think Plexi glass is a bit more heavy im comparing it to my Plexi glass bong its really think and Plexi glass doesnt brake that ez you can even cook with a Plexi glass pot

Im amazed at the amount of replies i got:thumb: . I want to know now what would be lighter (lexan) or (plexi). I would also want to know how much weight im saving by doing this. Does anyone know if its legal to even do this in florida?

(Smokeweed420) thanks for the reply. :D You must have just posted before i did . I really wouldnt want to compare weight from a bong:p I would rather get it from someone who has maybe done this before or works with this stuff. But i guess thats a start;) .

nobody's really responded with anything useful, though. Lexan is the material used in glass replacement on race cars. Obviously if you did this you'd lose your rear defrost if that makes any difference. Lexan is also known to warp over time in direct sunlight so that's another thing to watch out for if it's your daily driver. It could probably be up to 50lbs lighter then the stock glass, but another problem is attachment. Normally the lexan is riveted into the fiberglass or carbon fiber body panels that race cars use in conjunction with the lexan to remove as much weight as possible. You'd probably need to fabricate a whole new hatch to be able to mount it.

So, is it doable? Yes. Would I recommend it? No.

"It could probably be up to 50lbs lighter then the stock glass, but another problem is attachment."

:confused: How much can the stock glass possibly weigh that plexi would save 50 lbs?

isnt lexan stiff tho? how would you bend it to fit in place? and yes lexan is WAY!!!! lighter than glass and stronger i beleive (wouldnt be able to use it for a windsheild because i dont think you would go through it) but a rear hatch would save some serious pounds. Does anyone know if there is a fiberglass hatch(the metal part)? that would deffintaly save some punds too.

Yea, they make a fiberglass hatch for the first gens. I am not 100% sure where i saw it. I know that they exist but just cant remember where

Jeff:confused:

there's a canadian site (squid something) that sells most panels on fb and cf that would save weight

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back