The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Please help with what seems to be frame issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick98talon

Probationary Member
Nov 23, 2014
New London, Ohio
Ok so to start off a just got a new 98 talon tsi. It came on tsw wheels and with it being winter time I decided to put the stock ones back on that it came with. So I went to jack the car up and noticed some issues, the frame rails going down the sides seem rusted out. I was trying to lift it and heard cracking and crushing so I looked under and the frame rail was bending to the jack and piece of wood between. Doing research I saw someone say that people commonly try to lift it by the (under seat frame) and that it tends to bend. I got a picture of it to post and would like some feedback. Am I trying to jack this car up by the wrong area? Is my frame rail rusted out and I need it fixed? Should I sell the car cause of how much work will be involved in fixing it? Thanks in advance, any help will be much appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    842.8 KB · Views: 347
I don't know how to answer your question not much of a body guy but if it helps at all I always just jack my car up from under the rear diff and under the front cross member. Essentially lifting both rear and both front wheels at the same time.

You are suppose to use the pinched seams along the side to jack up your car. See red arrow. It's where the OEM scissor jack goes. You can also use areas of the subframes. The two large flat rails where never meant to support load like that. Even when they where new you would have crushed them.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hey everyone I just wanna let you know I appreciate the feedback. Helped somebody new to dsms out a lot. I was worried this car wouldn't be any good for starting to make more power with and that I would need to find a new one. Again, thanks eveyone

You can use that rail for a floor jack. Its how I do it on mine and every other unibody car. Also how I was taught. Never had a problem if you know what your doing and place jack at the right place. Also use it to hold the car up with floor jacks.

Don't use those rails to jack.

I had to fix what some fool PO did to my car. Caved in that rail till it hit the seat reinforcements. Those rails are 1 formed layer of probably 19ga or thinner metal. Don't jack on the pinch welds in the middle of the door either. :p

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Jack on the pinch welds. They are notched to indicate where to jack. Or use the rear diff/crossmember, or front centermember as listed in the FSM.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back