The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Please help my 4g63 N/T 1G JUNK YARD build with 2.4 4g64 Galant.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirt Eagle

Proven Member
Mar 27, 2014
San Clemente, California
I race in a rookie class dirt track division. 1g Eagle Talon n/t and am getting my ass whooped. The ecotechs are taking over the division. Rules are basically no modding but no one fallows them. Also can not afford to dump a bunch of money in because the claim is low and there is nothing to be made from the races other than the pride.

As far as modding they check obvious things such as chipping and safety, however, the actual engine components do not get checked that in depth. I've been talking to a fellow racer and this is what he did. From what I have been reading and talking to other drivers I have come to the solution of a junk yard build.

The basics are obvious and there has been a million threads on this but none for n/t and everyone dumps too much money in for my situation. (I'm not being cheep its just this class is literally demolition derby all the way to the front on Friday nights).

The following are the items I know that I need:
-Long block from Galant
-DOHC FROM 1G
-1G turbo fuel pump
-Larger injectors
-make motor mounts for the front
-7 bolt fly wheel and clutch
-I can use my 1g transmission

IVE ALSO been researching that the 2.4 l neon, pt cruiser, and sebrings, had the similar engines. Can I use anything from these

What else do I need to know about this build and what else do I need? Keep in mind junk yard build and I'm not going to buy everything new but I do have some money to spend trying to stay under 300. What horsepower gains could be expected (NO ONE EVER POSTS THIS)? If you think this is a dog shit idea I'm open to any other ideas.

Last edited:
That galant engine isn't going to have the front and rear roll stop mounts on it. You need a g4cs hyundai 6 bolt block if you want to use it in a 1g. Also the engines in the neon, pt cruiser and other chrysler cars is a totally different engine, it is like the 420a. Nothing on those is even remotely compatible. I would look into a hyundai head to raise compression and a set of mild cams and you should be right with the other guys.

I was reading posts about the hyundai engines as well but they are hard to find. It would be a similar build i'm assuming? Long block Hyundai with the dohc of the 1g. Or would I use the rod and pistons out of the hyundai and bore my block? Further more could I do something like this with the Galant? Use the rod, crank, and pistons?

+1 ^^^ cams, a little bowl work if you get the chance, and def need to raise compression. I used to dirt race mustangs/pintos. Im not sure if you can use some of the tricks that ive done but ill cough some ideas. I had better luck with lower lift longer duration cams (300 to 310 degrees was my favorite). Depending on your rpms build a stroker if you can. If you have room, zero deck the block.. atleast. some guys like to go crazy and have pistons sticking out about .010. mill the head as much as possible. To give you and idea i used to get away with milling the head at least .130 zero deck would take about .027 and build the stroker...not sure how far you can go but the point is to get as much compression as you can. be ready to step up the suspension and the fuel.

I just remembered something. Back in the day people started using the crank from a 2.5L chrysler four cylinder to build a dsm stroker. I cant remember the details but im sure you could find them as fast as I could. Not to throw anyone out there, I seem to remember Buschur being one of the guys doing it.

stock injectors in 2.4engine are 275cc, and dont expect you will gain much power from this setup, it wont be better than 165-175hp

+1 ^^^ cams, a little bowl work if you get the chance, and def need to raise compression. I used to dirt race mustangs/pintos. Im not sure if you can use some of the tricks that ive done but ill cough some ideas. I had better luck with lower lift longer duration cams (300 to 310 degrees was my favorite). Depending on your rpms build a stroker if you can. If you have room, zero deck the block.. atleast. some guys like to go crazy and have pistons sticking out about .010. mill the head as much as possible. To give you and idea i used to get away with milling the head at least .130 zero deck would take about .027 and build the stroker...not sure how far you can go but the point is to get as much compression as you can. be ready to step up the suspension and the fuel.

What cams would you suggest? Yea building a stroker seems to be the best bet for my situation. I need as much torque as possible and that seems to be a way to get it. I'm getting pulled on hard out of the corner. I don't know if I want to go as far as zero decking it or having my pistons pop out... id think id blow up every other night. I need it to be reliable and fast, so a happy medium. Suspension has been stepped up and I've already added larger injectors. Problem is again trying to not dump to much in for a Friday night track car which I'm sure you understand!

stock injectors in 2.4engine are 275cc, and dont expect you will gain much power from this setup, it wont be better than 165-175hp
Yea 160 is the end goal... if i can do anything to step it up to 160 my driving will do the rest. a 20+ horsepower gain would be plenty to get me closer to equal with the ecotechs.

160 BEING THE END GOAL IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I CAN DO??????????

well if you zero deck the pistons wouldn't be sticking out, they would be flush. you would have to mic the distance between the deck and the piston top to see if its even worth doing. If you start raising compression youll need to start increasing octane. I used to get away with 110 up to 116 octane. now and again we had someone sneak by with alcohol, but we were carbureted. E.F.I im not sure what you could use.....e85 maybe. idk how the injectors would react to racing gas or alcohol. maybe you could get away with just building a stroker and using 93 octane. mind the timing too I guess. as far as cams youre probably going to have to call up a cam manufacturer and have some made. they will ask you a lot of questions about your setup and track. an ex racing buddy of mine had good results with comp cams custom cam. maybe you can play with trannies for your gearing. until you get the power, you may have to stick to running the high side to keep your momentum up?

Was this engine ever built? I'm about to start the same project and would like to ask some questions.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back