The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Please help me with this oil leak!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcman804

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 5, 2005
Cumberland, Virginia
I recently got my car all put back together and after installing my fmic I decided to take the car out for a test run. First when I went under boost I noticed that it started to smoke, this definitely had me nervous because I just installed a new turbo and I was afraid it was gone already, thank God it wasnt. When I checked it out I noticed oil around the firewall on the by the back of the block. I have a new valve cover and headgasket so I can rule those out. It looks like the oil is coming from the A/C line and I noticed that my engine oil level is completely the same. For some reason it only does this when Im on it hard. Ive attached a pic so you can see where it may be coming from. Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• 2011-10-30_16-51-39_241.jpg
    2011-10-30_16-51-39_241.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 58
You should check to see if the bolt that plugs the hole to check the balance shaft is there. If the bolt fell out, it will spit oil out of it. It is located on the lower center part of the block.

Ive been searching for that balance shaft hole but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have any pics of where this is? Wouldnt this cause my oil level to get low? Ive been driving the car around town a little just to see if the oil is getting any lower but its not. Ive also heard the knock sensor could cause a leak but Ive replaced this with a new one and its dry around there.

Thanks Boomdeeze, you were perfectly right, it was the balance shaft hole. Now I think Im in deeper SH#%, I put the wrong bolt in the balance shaft bolt hole and when I went to crank the car I heard it clack, like the bolt hit the balance shaft. I didnt crank it all the way up because because I figured it was the problem. I got the correct bolt, which was shorter, out of my old block and put it in there but when I started the car I could still hear the engine clacking. Does anyone know what could have happened? Do you think this could have knocked the engine out of timing? I was so close to having my car running perfect but my stupidity and carelessness kicked me in the balls.

I was wondering if it may have ruined the balance shaft bearings when the shaft hit the bolt that was too long? Is it possible to remove the balance shafts while the engine is in the car?

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back