The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Please help me with my C.O.P. setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LSM

5+ Year Contributor
Mar 25, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Ok so bare with me here. I had finally just purchased another 2G after 20 years of not having one and my knowledge is still somewhat stuck in the early 2000's! So I bought a set of Spark Tech C.O.P.'s a while back to replace the spark plug wires, but after several hours of searching I still can not seem to figure out what exactly I need to run the C.O.P.'s! I'm assuming I need a new main igniter right? What else do I need to get? Just F.Y.I. I have an AEM stand alone. I know that isn't going to make a huge difference, but just in case it makes any difference I figured I would throw that info in! Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!

It shouldn't need a new igniter. Uses the stock one. Did you get the pnp version? Where the stock coils plug into the stock igniter, there is a triangular plug with 3 wires. Unplug, the stock coils, and plug the COP plug into that.

If your Sparkteck COP kit is with a CDI box, please refer the post #10 in the link below. If it's without a CDI box, then like already mentioned above that you would use the stock PTU that you have now and you would wire the 3 wires on the COP to the 3 wires on the factory coil pack connector.

https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/m-w-pro-12-wiring.533148/#post-153794536

It shouldn't need a new igniter. Uses the stock one. Did you get the pnp version? Where the stock coils plug into the stock igniter, there is a triangular plug with 3 wires. Unplug, the stock coils, and plug the COP plug into that.
Sorry for such a late response, I've had way too much crap going on! OK, so I know I can use the stock ignitor and whatnot.....but would it be better to get a C.D.I. for better voltage output? I imagine the stock setup doesn't offer too incredibly strong of a spark, especially for the HP I'll be pushing! Would a CDI be a better setup? And yes, mine do have the triangular connector attached to the wires.

20 years away and starting with an AEM standalone? I wish you luck...
Well hopefully I won't have to mess with it too much! I'm gonna have the guy that does the tuning set up a few different maps for me to run on and from there I will pretty much leave it alone until I can start to figure things out!

would that be a better way to go??
Definitely. The difference with and without would be like night and day. If I were you and if it's without a CDI box, I would go back to the stock coil pack. Most of case the stock coil pack is better than a COP kit if it's without CDI. Anyways for your desired goal that you mentioned in another post, you would probably need one.

Definitely. The difference with and without would be like night and day. If I were you and if it's without a CDI box, I would go back to the stock coil pack. Most of case the stock coil pack is better than a COP kit if it's without CDI. Anyways for your desired goal that you mentioned in another post, you would probably need one.
Ok, so basically you're saying if I don't want to have to buy a CDI then I should go with stock spart setup. But COP's with a CDI would be much better correct?

Ok, so basically you're saying if I don't want to have to buy a CDI then I should go with stock spart setup. But COP's with a CDI would be much better correct?
Yes that's what I meant. I just spoke general thing. The early 4g63's factory coil pack is really strong even without CDI, of course with CDI would be way better. Normally going with a COP kit without CDI on DSM would be a downgrade. I am not sure how well the Sparktech coils without CDI would work though.

Yes that's what I meant. I just spoke general thing. The early 4g63's factory coil pack is really strong even without CDI, of course with CDI would be way better. Normally going with a COP kit without CDI on DSM would be a downgrade. I am not sure how well the Sparktech coils without CDI would work though.
I wasn't even given the option of including a CDI when I ordered the COP's! Of course that was almost 2 years ago now, but still, wasn't an option! Ok man, last question just because I am not familiar with exactly how the CDI works......is the CDI all I need, just that and the COP's, or do I also need an igniter or the stock igniter? Is there a CDI you would recommend? Does MSD make one? Ok, so it was a few questions haha, but those are the last things I need to know!

I wasn't even given the option of including a CDI when I ordered the COP's! Of course that was almost 2 years ago now, but still, wasn't an option! Ok man, last question just because I am not familiar with exactly how the CDI works......is the CDI all I need, just that and the COP's, or do I also need an igniter or the stock igniter? Is there a CDI you would recommend? Does MSD make one? Ok, so it was a few questions haha, but those are the last things I need to know!
I have the Sparktech COP with a M&W Pro-12 CDI box and running without a PTU (igniter). You can buy it with an universal harness. Or ask Sparktech, you may be able to purchase a M&W box and a PnP harness from them to upgrade your Sparktech COP kit, since they use M&W CDI for their kits.

I have the Sparktech COP with a M&W Pro-12 CDI box and running without a PTU (igniter). You can buy it with an universal harness. Or ask Sparktech, you may be able to purchase a M&W box and a PnP harness from them to upgrade your Sparktech COP kit, since they use M&W CDI for their kits.
OK cool, I will check with them! Thank you for all of the info man, I REALLY appreciate it, for real!

Yeah, CDI's suck. They're super sensitive to electronic damage. Just bin the thing and go back to stock coils or make your own setup with GTR, LS, or IGN1A coils.

Yeah, CDI's suck. They're super sensitive to electronic damage. Just bin the thing and go back to stock coils or make your own setup with GTR, LS, or IGN1A coils.
There are a LOT of advantages to a CDI and COP's over stock, especially with the power I will be pushing! I don't remember anybody I knew who has had them having a lot of problems with theirs unless they weren't done right in the first place. I seriously can't remember any issues when the people who installed them knew what they were doing! Are you sure that's not what happened with your experience? There are too many advantages in my case for me to go back to the stock setup!

There are a LOT of advantages to a CDI and COP's over stock, especially with the power I will be pushing! I don't remember anybody I knew who has had them having a lot of problems with theirs unless they weren't done right in the first place. I seriously can't remember any issues when the people who installed them knew what they were doing! Are you sure that's not what happened with your experience? There are too many advantages in my case for me to go back to the stock setup!
LOL, I've seen probably eight of them break. At the track, on the street, on the dyno, etc, etc. All of them installed according to the directions from sparktech. Modern ignition coils provide the same or more spark energy than a CDI with shitty 300M coils. IGN1A's will absolutely knock the socks off a setup like that. Also, the stock coil is just fine. Only DSM people think moving to a less reliable setup is full of advantages hahaha.

If you don't see them on professional racing vehicles, there's a reason. I can't remember the last time I saw a CDI box on an IMSA car or something similar.

Even with our old cars thats one of the more reliable pieces on the car stock coils.
Yeah you are correct, but that's also if you're not pushing a whole hell of a lot more HP than stock! I'll be pushing around 700hp to the wheels w/o nitrous and up to around 1000hp with nitrous....at that point the COP's have MANY advantages over the stock coils for sure
LOL, I've seen probably eight of them break. At the track, on the street, on the dyno, etc, etc. All of them installed according to the directions from sparktech. Modern ignition coils provide the same or more spark energy than a CDI with shitty 300M coils. IGN1A's will absolutely knock the socks off a setup like that. Also, the stock coil is just fine. Only DSM people think moving to a less reliable setup is full of advantages hahaha.

If you don't see them on professional racing vehicles, there's a reason. I can't remember the last time I saw a CDI box on an IMSA car or something similar.
Well again, I personally have not seen many issues with them, and being as I don't know how those ones you're talking about were installed and/or what other factors were in play, I'm still going to lean towards the CDI! Pretty much anything can be a P.O.S. if you don't know what you're doing with it! I don't personally know why those systems crapped out so I can't take that as proof you know what I mean?! And once again, the guys I knew never had any serious problems with theirs! There are just too many factors in play here to say one way or the other 100% for sure. And yes, you are correct about the drag cars, and that has a lot to do with the simplicity of regular waste spark coils! The COP's are more complex so of course you won't want that on a track car! I however will be driving mine daily so simplicity isn't a selling point for me when there are advantages! Also, if they're so horrible and unreliable, then why are all of the vehicle manufacturers switching to COP's or CNP's? To each their own I suppose!

Also, if they're so horrible and unreliable, then why are all of the vehicle manufacturers switching to COP's or CNP's? To each their own I suppose!

Coil on plug ignitions are not CDI... 🤦‍♂️ . COP ignitions are great, I already said in this thread that coils like the ones in GT-Rs and most Audi's are great. IGN1A's can't really be mounted COP, but if they could be, they would be great like that too. On the other hand, if you're using some shite coils like CBR or Denso or 300M then you'll need something to amplify them... a bandaid and added complexity... Do what you want. "THEY'RE ON RED DEMON THOUGH"...

Coil on plug ignitions are not CDI... 🤦‍♂️ . COP ignitions are great, I already said in this thread that coils like the ones in GT-Rs and most Audi's are great. IGN1A's can't really be mounted COP, but if they could be, they would be great like that too. On the other hand, if you're using some shite coils like CBR or Denso or 300M then you'll need something to amplify them... a bandaid and added complexity... Do what you want. "THEY'RE ON RED DEMON THOUGH"...
Good attitude bruh

A little additional info here. Using the GT-R coils has been kinda trend in some car communities, including GT-R communities. But not something very new. And only "R35" VR38 GT-R coil is the one that is better than the COPs that have been mentioned above and other RB26 GT-R's coils are no much point to go with.
And as for the CDI, "THEY'RE ON RED DEMON THOUGH" I think that's proven enough. And both obviously work. I also believe people should do what they want to do. I am with a CDI, but I wouldn't deny the R35 coils, because I know they are good, too.

I realize they're different, but I really doubt that all of them would use a standard igniter and whatnot with COP's, some of them have got to be using some kind of management system! But basically what you're saying is full stock ignition or IGN1A? The stock shite isn't gonna be good enough for higher HP I'll be pushing, especially when spraying. So then what are my other options in your opinion? Also, do you think the M&W CDI's suck too? I'm asking because everyone has been saying that they are great, car magazines, internet, people on here, everyone I've heard from says they're really nice!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back