The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Spyder Please help me get the timing belt right on my 99 2G 2.4 (Spyder GS)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexr254

Proven Member
Jun 18, 2021
Palm Coast, Florida
Can anyone give me some pointers?
I just changed the timing belt on a 99 GS Spyder with a 2.4
I triple checked all marks. They all line up. Its set TDC at Cyl1 and i am pretty sure its at compression stroke.
Ill check again later today if i cant find anything else.
For the compression stroke i was told its just the cam line that should be in the right position. Is this wrong?

I made sure the oil pump is in the correct orientation. Falling towards the line and not away.

BUT at start up the engine is shaking very badly. Feels like its misfiring badly. No check engine lights and no fault codes. It starts and runs. But poorly.
Can something have went bad? Maybe the crank sensor? I have no CEL.
I also changed out the spark plugs (to iridium's), but reused the old cables. maybe a cable is bad from when I pulled them off? But I figured a real misfire would cause a check engine light or show up on the OBD2 scanner. But nada.
I am not sure what to do next. Again, i am 99% sure all timing marks are lined up correctly. I have already taken it apart and put it back together 3x. This is driving me NUTZ. Please help before I pull out all my hair. Whatever little i have left.

Here is a pic of my marks

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back