The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Please help.. Major Turbo Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocCitySlayer

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 20, 2011
Rochester, New_York
I have a very serious problem that has been pissing me off since the day I bought my car.. When I bought the car I knew that it had a few exhaust leaks, but when I got the car to my house I took the manifold off the turbo and found out that the leaks were caused by 3 broken bolts, Upon further inspection I noticed that the previous ower "or somebody" had the smart idea to try to force standard thread bolts into metric threads:ohdamn: So because of that stupid ass moment the threads are now completly shot. I dont want to go the route of doing any helicoils because I dont think that they can withstand the heat of the turbo. I have made 2 other threads about this but now I ran into the worst problem, yesterday I brought it to a local machine shop to see if they can drill and tap in new threads. All I keep hearing from everybody is that they can not tap in new threads because they say that the metal is hardened. Another shop told me that they can not weld studs in because they dont see the beads holding on the metal. I have absolutly no idea what to do now. I really dont want to buy a new bep housing because the money I have now is put away to get my tune done after I get my turbo problems figured out.. Please can somebody that knows what they are talking about tell me what i can do.. This is pretty much the only thing keeping my car from being drivable Please help

Take the car over to STM, they can fix whatever problems you have or tell you exactly what you need to do.

Take the car over to STM, they can fix whatever problems you have or tell you exactly what you need to do.

They told me to bring the turbo to a machine shop because they could not do it.. and the machine shop said they can not do it so thats why im having such a hard time getting my car running again:cry:

What you do is heli-coil them with timeserts brand or een heli-coil brand, and then stick studs in those, then put nuts on the studs, it will hold i garauntee that.. as for whoever said they can't fill and re-thread them they are lazy and don't want to do it, they just need to weld it with 99% Nickle rod and it can be drilled and re-tapped to OEM sizre, 99Ni rod is very machinable and workable and very strong as well

they are just wanting to avoid the small work that doesn't pay forthe headache it is, find a car guy that has welding equipment and knows his stuff and it canbe done, i know cause i can and have done it

EDIT: heli-coils area stainless steel , theycan hold the heat of a turbo easily

Last edited by a moderator:
This car was ment to be a daily driver. But this problem is stopping me from doing anything else with it. It has been sitting in my driveway since thanksgiving because of this problem

How do i put in heli-coils if i cant retap the threads to be able to hold the coils?

You will have to drill the bolt out, than drill the hole to the size that is recommended with the kit. From there you will tap the hole with the tap included in the kit. From there you will use the install tool to thread it into the hole.

I don't see why you couldn't retap the threads. Again, I did this on my turbine housing without a problem. I wouldn't think the BEP housing would be made of some indestructible metal that you couldn't tap.

I have tried to drill and tap. All the drill bits dull to nothing and I have tried using and ez- out but that broke. Every bit or tqp thar I put in in seems to break:banghead:

You will have to drill the bolt out, than drill the hole to the size that is recommended with the kit. From there you will tap the hole with the tap included in the kit. From there you will use the install tool to thread it into the hole.

I got the bolts out, but the threads in the holes are flatened to nothing. I was thinking that if I can't figure something out I might just drill the holes and weld in studs

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back