The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

PLEASE help just put in rebuilt motor and WONT START!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1gTurboTuner

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 2, 2005
Sioux Falls, South_Dakota
Ok i just put in my rebulilt motor and everything went in pretty well (along with alot of swearing) and now my car wont start!!
Its in the ignition coil i'm sure, because the spark plug wires wont put out any spark but everything else works (electrically). Anyone know what could be wrong? I looked all around it but, it seems like something really lame like an electrical connector not put on or something dumb like that plz help!!!!!!!
I really want to drive my car SOON because its been sittin since summer began :cry: .

thanks for any and all help!!! :thumb:
allan

95 'clipse RS said:
is the coil pack plugged in and have you tested it to be sure its good??

Yeah its plugged in i checked like 10 times cuz i was paraniod... havent tested it, dont i need to take it out and bring it to an autoparts store for that? If not how?

thanks

liquordrunk said:
Maybe ur fuses?

Yeah i checked the fuses... but isnt the coil pack a solenoid one?? One of those big black ones? how do u check those?

thanks guys!!!

hakcenter said:
Check your MPI fuse, it is in the fuse box connected to the battery. Make sure you haven't popped it.

Does the car crank but not start?
Have you pulled the fuel return line to make sure you were getting fuel as well?

You might want to double check the cam angle sensor as well, there is a notch on the spinner and a dot marked on the back. Line up your timing marks, cam dots up, and crank near tdc. Then line up the dot with the notch in the cas and place it back.

Yes the car cranks and it has fuel pressure i checked that. Yeah i'll get to work right now on the fuse and the cam angle sensor. I had the machine shop time it so thats all good i would think.

thanks guys i'll see if this beast can run!!!

allan

Ok i checked the MPI fuse and its good, everything is good timing wise and the cam angle sensor is ok too... so i dunno whats wrong with it :cry: .

If you can think of anything else that'd be cool.

I guess i'll have to try and take it to some auto place to see if they can get it runnin.

anyways thanks guys,

If you have fuel pressure, than you should have power at the power transistor and coil pack due to them getting the power from the same source (ignition switch). Check just to be sure. The Black/wht whire at the coil and the transistor should have battery voltage (B+). If you have that, take a look at both the yellow/blk and yellow/green wires at the coil, with the connector connected, backprobe both and look for a flashing test light. If the test light lights up but does not blink then the transistor is not firing the coil. If there is no power out, but power in, (black/white wire pin#3) then the coil is bad. Test both wires because both circuits are seperate. If you have power in, a blinking test light out then you should have spark unless the coil windings are bad (you then do an ohms test of the primary and secondary primary should be around .80 ohms the secondary should be around 10-14 thousand ohms)

akdsmer said:
If you have fuel pressure, than you should have power at the power transistor and coil pack due to them getting the power from the same source (ignition switch). Check just to be sure. The Black/wht whire at the coil and the transistor should have battery voltage (B+). If you have that, take a look at both the yellow/blk and yellow/green wires at the coil, with the connector connected, backprobe both and look for a flashing test light. If the test light lights up but does not blink then the transistor is not firing the coil. If there is no power out, but power in, (black/white wire pin#3) then the coil is bad. Test both wires because both circuits are seperate. If you have power in, a blinking test light out then you should have spark unless the coil windings are bad (you then do an ohms test of the primary and secondary primary should be around .80 ohms the secondary should be around 10-14 thousand ohms)

I tried that but i dont think i did any of it right cuz nothing would light up so i'm just gonna take it to an auto shop in town and see if they can start it.

Thanks for all the advice guys but its time to let the profesionals do their job

thanks again :thumb:

allan

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back