The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Plasti gauge measurement

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Locked down my crank this way. Mains are easy. You have to be careful for rods. The #2 & #3 rods are a little tricky because of the limited amount of room and you have to put the plastigauge on the rod side (not the cap side).

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Man thats alot of work isn't it? But if it works, it works. Nothing to complain about that! :thumb:
Here is what a properly marked crank will look like if it's been to a good machinist. I am getting ready to polish this one.
It's not a 4g crank tho. Just a disclaimer LOL.

I was told by the machine shop I had to get .010 over for the main bearings. And the plasti gauge that I used is this one green one from autozone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
That's mm plastigauge. You're likely using inch measurements on the crank. Looks like you have the wrong plastigauge

I was told by the machine shop I had to get .010 over for the main bearings. And the plasti gauge that I used is this one green one from autozone.
Which main bearing set did you purchase? Provide us the part number. Maybe you accidentally purchased a +.025mm (.001") set, instead of a +.25mm (.010") set.
And let us know what diameter the main journals have.

Which main bearing set did you purchase? Provide us the part number. Maybe you accidentally purchased a +.025mm (.001") set, instead of a +.25mm (.010") set.
And let us know what diameter the main journals have.
I got acl race bearings. And I did not get the diameter on the main journals from the machine shop because I did not think I was going to run into this problem. Just thought knowing the size of the bearing to get them slap it on and measure then go.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    927.9 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
I got acl race bearings. And I did not get the diameter on the main journals from the machine shop because I did not think I was going to run into this problem. Just thought knowing the size of the bearing to get them slap it on and measure then go.
As I told you above, you have a .001" thicker size bearing set instead of .010" thicker. You purchased or received a wrong size bearing set. You need a 5M1219H-.25, not a 5M1219H-.025. That's why now you have .010" excess clearance.

Easy to make that mistake when the .001 oversize is also offered from your bearing supplier. Double check and let us know. This happens but don't be discouraged. Get it right and you will smile in the end that YOU did it and did it right! :thumb:

As I told you above, you have a .001" thicker size bearing set instead of .010" thicker. You purchased or received a wrong size bearing set. You need a 5M1219H-.25, not a 5M1219H-.025. That's why now you have .010" excess clearance.

thanks for clarifying that. I’m sure I bought the wrong ones. I will make sure to get the correct ones this time and update this post when I do.

Easy to make that mistake when the .001 oversize is also offered from your bearing supplier. Double check and let us know. This happens but don't be discouraged. Get it right and you will smile in the end that YOU did it and did it right! :thumb:
Yeah man your right about that. Lol. I will make sure to get the correct ones this time and get this build on it’s feet.

It happens. Don't fret over it. :)

thanks for clarifying that. I’m sure I bought the wrong ones. I will make sure to get the correct ones this time and update this post when I do.
Yeah it happens. It made me confused before, too. Don't worry, you can keep the wrong set for the future.

Well just got my new set of bearing I ordered and they sent me the wrong ones. They sent me .025 when I ordered .25. Will be back once I have an update.

Hey all. I been waiting on my digital torque wrench that’s been on back order. Here’s an update. Everything’s good now with the correct bearings now. .25. Thanks everyone. Now to continue this build.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back