The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Plasti dipped my winter car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ill post up pics when I get home. It looked good but its a difficult color to use covering up other colors. The biggest issue I had was the blotchy look, after 13 cans and no help on the issue I peeled it off. :( spraying over a primer car is a terrible idea. The removal becomes 100 times more difficult over porous surfaces.

I plasti dipped my car white with the spray cans. If I could do it again I'd get a cheap wagner sprayer from lowes/home depot and buy it by the gallon.

The white plasti dip in spray can form doesn't have a lot of pigment so it will take a lot of cans to cover up a darker colored car. Luckily mine was already white, so it took about 10 cans if I remember right.

If you want this stuff to be temporary you simply clean the car really well (get all the bugs and tar and everything off), tape everything off that you don't want painted, and spray it on. No sanding, no priming. Later on you can just peel it off.

If you don't care about the original finish you can sand it down to smooth out all the spots where there's rust, or where the clear coat is peeling or whatever and then clean it and spray it. It's also nice to use body filler to cover any chips or dents before painting

The problem I've found with the white is that bugs with yellow guts stain the front if you don't wash it at least once a week.

Before you spray the plastidip make sure you don't clean the original surface with Simple Green. Even if you wash it shortly after using simple green, there are these gasses that get trapped in the paint or something and the Plastidip doesn't like to stick to those surfaces or it bubbles or something. At least that's what I read about this stuff, I never did it myself, just cleaned w/ regular soap/water.

To clean it after you've painted it and it has cured for a couple days just use soap, simple green, water, and a microfiber towel to lightly scrub spots. you can use a pressure washer if you don't get too close and don't keep it on edges.

If you rub it too hard it'll peel, but it won't normally peel on its own unless your front bumper takes a hard hit from a rock or something. Also be careful with the edges, sometimes they can start to peel.

If you have a chip, tear, or it starts to peel on an edge, dab your finger in paint thinner and rub it on the spot til it smooths out/blends together, then let it dry and just respray that spot and it melts into itself and you can hardly see it.

If you spray the plastidip too close or you don't keep the same distance away from the surface all the way across a panel while painting you can end up with these textured/grainy spots that look bad.

Also, if you spray the black while in direct sunlight when it's hot out sometimes it will get this white haze/film on it that won't come off even after washing and scrubbing. Don't use any kind of wax or degreaser from a car wash on plasti-dip, it will make that haze appear on it. sometimes you can't even spray over it to cover it, it just comes back to the surface so you have to peel it off and redo it. Also don't take it through an automatic car wash because the dirt from other cars gets on the bristles of those spinning brushes and can tear the plasidip.

make sure you don't get oil/grease on it, it's very porous and it's hard to get it out of the paint. When I go to close my doors and gas flap I always make sure my hands are clean or I'll get stains on the paint that are difficult but not impossible to get off.

Just look at everything on dipyourcar.com and you'll learn everything there is to know about this stuff.

Some people set up shops and do this professionally, it's that good, and the best part is it's super cheap compared to a real paint job and if you do it right it can come out looking perfect. There's even a glossifier so it doesn't have to be flat. And you can get a kit to mix your own colors. There's a bunch of metallic colors too.

Look at that novel!^^ that's basically everything I know about this stuff from having it on my car for about 8 months.

P.S. I still need to do the roof of my car, especially the trim around the windows since it's all faded. Plastidip is really good for the plastic piece below the front windshield and for the wiper arms, makes all that stuff look like new if you remove it and paint it.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back