The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Plasti dipped my winter car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DROPthatCLUTCH

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 21, 2011
Calgary, AB_Canada
Before:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

After 1gb talon skirts/5 piece wing:

After plasti dip:

I honestly love this stuff now. so easy to do, and it made the car look mint. $150 to do this.

Last edited:
I just bought a gallon of un-thinned plasti dip and a gallon of thinner mixed it 50:50 to make 2 gallons. If I were to do it again I would want at least another half gallon.

Sprayed it with my buddies 2nd generation wagner hvlp sprayer that comes with the pro car kit from dipyourcar.com.

Thanks!

I just bought a gallon of un-thinned plasti dip and a gallon of thinner mixed it 50:50 to make 2 gallons. If I were to do it again I would want at least another half gallon.

Sprayed it with my buddies 2nd generation wagner hvlp sprayer that comes with the pro car kit from dipyourcar.com.

Thanks!

What did you think of the kit? I have been wanting to dip my car white and was considering purchasing the complete spray kit from dipyourcar.

Honestly, if the kit is anything more than $300 I dont think it's worth it. You can buy the un thinned dip in gallon drums and thin it with xylene or naptha, rather than the plasti dip brand thinner, to save money. And you can get a wagner sprayer from home depot for $100. So all together with the gun and 2 gallons of dip, like the kit, your looking at about $250.

Holy hell this looks easy. Thanks for sharing. I am so doing this to every car I own now. It looks like overspray isn't even a big deal because it comes off with a solvent!

So this protects your paint and it will peel off?? So you dint have to sand or anything? Just clean the car and spray?

Just get some grease and wax degreaser from Canadian tire or wherever, Rub down the car, and spray. Easy as that! I'm doing a panda scheme on my AWD after the winter.

Holy hell this looks easy. Thanks for sharing. I am so doing this to every car I own now. It looks like overspray isn't even a big deal because it comes off with a solvent!
Overspray=No problem at all. I just painted right over the windows/lights completely. Peels right off after. When you get gas though, try not to let it drip on the dip, I'm just gonna keep a rag in behind the little gas door to catch drips when I fill up.

Yup amazing stuff. But never seen it used in such a large application. Anybody have problems with it peeling off when you dont want it to?
As long as you degrease the car, it's not gonna lift up unless you really work it on an edge. Theres videos of people pressure washing with no problem.

Do you have to buy the gallons online? I'm interested if it can be purchased locally.

I buy mine locally at a place called "Industrial Plastics & Paints". Check the yellow pages for any industrial paint place in your area.
You CAN buy online though if you have to for reasonable prices.

What does the gun look like?

Couple different guns you can use.

Theres another new sprayer out now too I think.

Also, I'm pretty sure people have gotten away with just using a cheap husky hvlp gun and a compressor.

That was a duh moment :ohdamn: I get the gun idea now.

I have about a dozen of the spray cans of white Plastidip that I got from work (legitimately). I didn't think it would be possible to do a whole car w/o getting streaking or that overlapped spray look. The OP's car looks pretty good though.

Only have a little more than half done, ignore the white rim - something weird was going on with my white can so it'll be just left chrome. But this was all done with spray cans and the gun. No overlapping, blends perfectly

Attachments

• IMG_0032 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_0032 (1024x768).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_0030 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_0030 (1024x768).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 282
I have a maxima that is sanded down and ready for paint. You telling me all I can do is just buy this stuff, spray it on and call it a day? Def going to look into this asap.

Damn! That was just plastidip spray paint cans? How many cans did you end up using? Looks amazing!

I've used 5 so far I think, I'm not finished but I would guess a total of 8. Now if I could figure out why the white is running so bad..I really want the rims white

I have a maxima that is sanded down and ready for paint. You telling me all I can do is just buy this stuff, spray it on and call it a day? Def going to look into this asap.

Yup, it might adhere differently to a sanded down surface tho..I know it peels off like nothing from going over clear coat, but I would try and area first and see how it comes off. Unless you want it to be permanent

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back