The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Plasti Dip hood Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This dip or rust-oleum? I haven't heard of this dip, but would like cheap paint job that isn't going to peel easily. Going to paint her flat black all over or flat black top and flat dark grey bottom. I was thinking of that metallic grey dip first, but unless that body is perfect... imperfections will show.

Thanks for the post, great job on the panda. :hellyeah:

Just got done coating the hood...mmmmm.

attachment.php

my buddy did his S2000 with the cans and it came out flawless!!! he used alot of the plasti and kinda looked like it was all gooped together until it started to dry and it all formed together with no patches. you kinda gotta overkill it so it makes a thick enough coat to last and look good!!!!!

My friend dipped his car. It turned out well & he used the spray gun.. But i feel that for the price of dip you might aswell just buy actual paint and clear...

I agree, with all of the prep work and time involved you might as well just actually paint the car. The only plus side to plasti-dip is that you could peel it off later. I would just paint the car, but for some people this works great and I do like how it looks! Just not for me. I have toyed around with the idea of glow in the dark paint and making a hidden emblem on the hood that in the daylight is unseen but at night glows!

I plastidipped my entire GS and the hood was the toughest by far because it's a huge area and you can't keep the can upright. If I ever get time I'm going to peel it off and redo it. I think I'll actually pull it off and stand it up next time ;)

There is a bunch of shit about plastidip that is not true.

The textured look is because you didn't thin it. If you buy it from a actual supplier for people who spray cars with it, it is dirt ####ing cheap. The gun, the towls, the plastidipped (Prethinned), the chemicals to remove the wax and other things you need to remove.... literally everything you need to do it right is around 300 or less depending on sales.

If you want to remove the plastidip you simply peel it off, if you can't simply peel it off YOU DID IT WRONG! There is no way that you didn't do it wrong either, it's just a simple fact.

You can get all kinds of awesome colors now such as purple, orange, red, blue (Looks a lot like BMW's blue), green (Both camo style matte green and a bright green), and of course the basics. If you want a shine they do sell a top coat that makes it look like it has clear coat on it.

The benefit of using it over painting your car besides the initial cost is if you decide you no longer don't like the color it's only like 100 bucks to buy the plastidip again.

The only reason it gets so much shit is because people have invested so much time and money in their paint and now a simpler method is making leaps and bounds every day in what it can do and how it can look. It's basically getting shit because it's new.

I know its not my DSM but I did my entire Jeep with spray cans from Home Depot, $6 a can 20 cans total = $120. For me it was about being able to change colors when ever I wanted and when I am out in the woods if it gets scratches from branches it hopefully wont scratch the paint.

Started with the hood
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Then did the doors

Then the sides

Finished product - minus the new fenders I put on.

My friend dipped his car. It turned out well & he used the spray gun.. But i feel that for the price of dip you might aswell just buy actual paint and clear...
i agree, my car is painted camo tan, in honor of military service, but its' less expensive just for regular paint, because you can use reducer on it. Yes it looks like you used a can to do your hood, this paint drys rather quick so, that could have something to do with the unevenness.

That looks pretty good and is the finish I am looking for, I guess I go plasti dip. Thanks for the photos and it look nice!

i like how plastic dip gives us the ability to try something new. But its not really worth it, it scratches off extremely easily , yes you can use a lill thinner and respray but its ridiculous how easily it comes off.

In the process now of prepping my car for plasti dip. can not wait till it gets done. Had to do alot of bumper mods to fit my intercooler and exhaust.

I got the doors off mine, all body pieces, going to spay individually and let them sit for a couple of days before putting it back together. Should look good. Hopefully it doesn't come off that easy....

i like how plastic dip gives us the ability to try something new. But its not really worth it, it scratches off extremely easily , yes you can use a lill thinner and respray but its ridiculous how easily it comes off.

only if you didnt clean off any wax or chemicals before you applied it and when its still fresh. I use a pressure washer to wash mine so its pretty tough.

First wheel is complete. :thumb:

I'm going to dip the whole car this color. Not sure about the top... might leave it black. And yes, my car is confused. Mits wheels and front bumper, talon tail and rear bumper. I'm going to badge the front and possibly center caps for the wheels, but that is last on my priority list....

Attachments

• IMG_20130813_064213_384.jpg
    IMG_20130813_064213_384.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20130813_064234_717.jpg
    IMG_20130813_064234_717.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 136
Plastidip is by far the worst creation anyone has ever come to create. The reason it did not turn out is for a few reasons.

1. Spray Cans do not spray at a consistent pressure like a conventional HVLP Spray gun
2. Spray cans do not release consistent material due to the small tip size causing particals to become partially lodged in the nozzle itself.
3. Temperature and humidity also hugely affect a final product on a paint or paint like product applied to the car.
4. Overlap that is not consistent will create tiger stripes due to improper "laying out" of the material.
5. Spray cans often time use faster accelerators to create that "Fast Dry" marketing campaign to appeal to people that do not want to be patient or spend the money to do it right the first time.
6. You get what you pay for!

Now onto my plastidip rant. Why would anybody want to use a product that peels off? Is it to save money? I have yet to figure this out. The promises they make on a easy removal have yet to be proven to me after a couple of friends went down this road I warned them against. By adding this product onto a car you are in fact creating even more of a costly repair by adding a material that is not sandable, not repaint-able, and obviously does not withhold elements of elongated time frames. I would stay away from this. The only rubber I want on my car is the 4 tires and the spare in the back. $$$ Gets your car looking good! Use real paint. If anything else go down to a local auto body store get you some single stage paint, pick up a inexpensive spray gun kit from the hardware store, borrow a compressor and see what you can accomplish. The worst that can happen is you have to sand it all back off and try again, but my bet it, the second time will be a lot better than the first. Practice makes perfect.

Hope this wasn't taken offensively, just my point of view. If you disagree please feel free to challenge my view. Maybe someone knows better methods than I do. I am always open to learn about new products... Using them is a whole different story.

Plastidip is by far the worst creation anyone has ever come to create.

I disagree.

I like the way it looks and want to dip my whole car. I like the texture, the color, and the ease of application. I hope it never comes off because I don't plan on painting it the conventional way. It's light weight and durable for the price.

I like how when my plasti dip will chip over the years I will grab the spray can after a light cleaning and presto! good as new.

There is more than one way to get to a result that we are satisfied with and right now plasti dip gets many people there.

Right now my car is 4-5 colors and with some light sanding and a couple cans of plasti dip I will get the exact look I want. and that's all that matters to me

I'm not trying to convince you and I don't care if you think I'm retarded.

So let's not :banghead::banghead::banghead:

You do what you want, I'll do what I want :) and we can both be HAPPY!

Im not here to argue. I am here to offer advice. I offered the right way to do something. If you want to spray can your car, by all means please do. It is not my preference and it is the cheap way out. If your going to have a car that you dump tons of money into and/ or you build to represent you and your hard work I would prefer to have something that justifies me more than a 97 cent walmart can, or a 6-7 dollar can of plastidip. I spend to much money on my car as it is so why not have a lasting finish that looks good, and grabs attention. That's how I feel. But I am a Painter for a living so maybe my basis for desired look is higher than most. There is a reason all my builds are all over forums, and in magazines. Because I go for perfection. I would rather spend 6 months doing one thing right, then 20 minutes hacking something up just to get it done... Only to spend 500 more 20 minute sessions to achieve the same result if I am lucky. Do it right the first time. That's my motto. Please don't get offended or take it in the wrong context. This forum is here to help people, not drag them down.

But I am a Painter for a living so maybe my basis for desired look is higher than most.

Higher? Try different and you will sound a little less condescending...:thumb:

I'm not here to argue either, but people don't always want a shinny new car look.... people are different and want different things.

I don't care about what others think about the quality of my paint job or if it makes it into a magazine. It's my car and I want it to look a certain way and that's all that matters. 97 cent can or not.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back