1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Planning to swap a 4G6X into an FC RX7 help.

Posted by Razgriz3, Oct 26, 2020

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. Razgriz3

Razgriz3 Probationary Member

Joined Oct 25, 2020
    FARGO, North Dakota
    Used to be into DSM's nearly 11 years ago when I found a low mileage 1g Talon TSI AWD. Car had sat for years because the owner never realized he had the timing reversed. I got it back on it's feet drove it for a year and started planning my build when I came across one of my many dream cars, an FC RX7(sadly non-turbo).

Now nearly 10 years and a dead na 13b later I was going to build it as a Turbo II and purchased most of the conversion parts, only to realize it's nearly 6k just for a stock 13b. Meanwhile the 4G6X will literally bolt into the car with just a different bellhousing and custom engine mounts... yet it's a rare swap that's even rarer to be finished(I've literally only found a single finished FC build with a 4G63 and the guy isn't active anymore).

I'm still planning things out, but the car is primarily being built to be a time attack/autocross/track day car with occasional weekend driving/car shows, goal is somewhere around 350hp

Things I need to know are:
    1. What shops are still around that build 4G6X's in the US? (Never built an engine and would rather a shop did)
    2. What's the best way to route the coolant inlet and outlet for a RWD swap?
    3. Is there anything other than the coolant inlet/outlet that I'm forgetting which might make things a nightmare?

2. dsmcrzy

dsmcrzy Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2009
    Trenton, Ohio
    The intake would also need to be flipped.

Street Build 5K  13

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. dwdsm

dwdsm Proven Member

Joined Apr 28, 2005
    Scenery Hill, Pennsylvania

1K  19

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.797 @ 118.450 · 2G DSM
  4. dsmspick

dsmspick Supporting Member

Joined Apr 7, 2011
    Overland Park, Kansas
    I would look at any of the rwd setups and go from there. A lot of what you will need for a mighty max or conquest is going to be the same. There was an ad(cant remember if it was here or fb) where a guy was selling quite a bit of rear wheel drive items. Like rear sump modified to pick up in the rear along with a pan.
    But for sure check out what the mighty max and other rwd (mustangs and what not) guys are doing for there setups.

3K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  5. 90'AWDTalonFroggy

90'AWDTalonFroggy Supporting Member

Joined Feb 1, 2014
    Curryville, Missouri
    Also check out, Adnan Omerovic. He has a 7 sec. Rx-7. Another one to look into, for what would need to be done to do the conversion.

Street Build 262  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

1K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  6. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    1g cas is another item that will need to be dealt with.

Drag Race Build 4K  10  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM