The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Planning my build. Help/opinions wanted

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Illy

Probationary Member
Oct 1, 2013
Hope, Rhode_Island
So I bought a gsx with 96k pretty much stock just leaking head gasket and some body work needed, runs and drives fine. Since there's some rot and body work i decided to buy a GST shell and just swap everything over
Going from top to bottom..
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So the engine will be out and I'll be doin the head gasket and new studs.

Have it machines while it's out? I don't kno anything about this engine, I only drove it like 5 miles with no problems.

My goal is to have a car that's DD but can still pull low 11s at the track when I want to drive up to the strip.

Is it necessary to change rods and pistons?
What turbo do u suggest using?
What intake should I use?

I'm new to this whole dsm world. And there's so much info on this forum that it's kinda overwhelming. Point me in the right direction please. I've read upgrade paths and stuff like that but other good threads I should read would be appreciated.

Any constructive info is welcome :)

Check the upgrade path keep it simple, and the way it is and replace what is bad or questionable. Drive it for a while and check it out.

Yea I understand that. I just figure if it's all apart why not build it better now instead of pulling it apart later and doing it again

I want it to go fast LOL. Budget is negotiable. I want to do it right at the same time I bought the shell to save money and I want to obviously do it for as cheap as possible. I want to be able to take it to the track and run strong on the weekends if I want to.. goal is for the 11s. I really just want it to be a nice, reliable car that's a mix between sleeper and beast LOL. I forget to mention that it's an auto.

I don't understand all these turbo housings, what had to go with what for it to work right etc etc. I'm used to superchargers. Any good threads I could/should read better to make more informed choices

Well if you feel like either pulling the motor or doing a little grunt work, delete the balance shafts, get some arp rod bolts, arp mains, and some new ACL race-series bearings. Have the cyl. head machined and even have new valves installed with a valve job/guid replacement wouldn't hurt. Check the deck surface on the block with a straight edge. get some ARP head studs and a Felpro permatorque or a OEM mitsu mls gasket. Other then that its just supporting mods for a larger turbo and more fuel! A stock 7-bolt when tuned should take some abuse. There's guys out there running 35r's on stock block 7 bolts.

Well if you feel like either pulling the motor or doing a little grunt work, delete the balance shafts, get some arp rod bolts, arp mains, and some new ACL race-series bearings. Have the cyl. head machined and even have new valves installed with a valve job/guid replacement wouldn't hurt. Check the deck surface on the block with a straight edge. get some ARP head studs and a Felpro permatorque or a OEM mitsu mls gasket. Other then that its just supporting mods for a larger turbo and more fuel! A stock 7-bolt when tuned should take some abuse. There's guys out there running 35r's on stock block 7 bolts.

I need to pull the motor anyway. I'm taking it out of the gsx and putting it into the GST shell after I do the AWD swap.

Yea forget the 11sec thing. What I really want is a car that looks nice, is fun to drive (handles well) and can beat my buddies cars. (Sti and supercharged rsx)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back