The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

piston to valve clearance ~.100" delta between Int and Exh

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willyp42

Proven Member
Sep 28, 2016
Windsor, ON_Canada
Hey everyone,
i ended up getting these results for a piston to valve measurements. and in not quite sure how i feel.
INT EXH
10 BTDC 215 250
7 BTDC 190 240
4 BTDC 170 240
TDC 153 250
3 ATDC 140 250
6 ATDC 134 250
10 ATDC 140 250

i am running 8.3 : 1 wiescos and kelford 276 HL cams.

would anyone feel concerned about the large delta in int vs exh?
the exh has .5mm less lift but timing means just as much as lift.
i dont have much experience at this so i am just wondering if anyone else has had similar outcomes or if this is normal.

thanks,
-Will

Did you use checking springs to measure the clearance? To me the intake numbers don't look right since your pistons have low compression dish-top (As I understood that [215] means [0.215"]). The exhaust numbers look more close but still the number's movements don't look right. I guess the indicator tip was sliding on retainer while you are pressing down the checking spring or maybe didn't check properly.

Yeah I used checking springs had zero lash and zero’d the indicator. My intake is only .040 lift at 11btdc so I think that’s why it’s moving in an abnormal pattern for you

i had to advance the intake 1/2 or cam degree after this,
this was my original p to v
20 BTDC .375
17 .323
14 .288
11 .268
8 .229
5 .206
2 .182
1 ATDC .176
4 .162
7 .155
10 .150
13 .148
16 .148
19 .152

after advancing i may not of been too thorough on the first pt or 2 but i definitely zero'd and repeated the measurement 3 times

-Will

My intake is only .040 lift at 11btdc
That's how it should be for this cam.
i am just wondering if anyone else has had similar outcomes or if this is normal.
I had the Kelford 276HL and a couple of engine spec sheets that I noted PTV clearance, I was looking for that but I couldn't find it. I stored it somewhere when I moved to a new place.
Anyways I sometimes degreed those cams and measured the PTV clearance. I couldn't find the engine spec sheet, so I can't tell exactly and all engines have different specs and the number would depend on by many factors, so wouldn't be the same as yours, IIRC the exhaust numbers were more or less similar to yours, but the intake numbers were much more. So I would double check the timing belt, maybe it's off.
And what I wanted to say in my first comment was the numbers in the green circles. The dial gauge shouldn't be moving like that if it is capable to read .001". It's reading the same numbers at least during 10 degrees after TDC. I guess this is probably the dial gauge or/and the tip was not set properly or was not functioning properly for some reason.
would anyone feel concerned about the large delta in int vs exh?
As long as if the mechanical valve timing (timing belt) is set properly and you confirm that you have a sufficient minimum PTV clearance, you wouldn't need to be concerned about that.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
i get what you saying because the valve is nearly closed and the piston is moving away after the first few points my scrutiny went way down so they are probably wrong.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back