The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

piston questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmfd

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 4, 2012
cleghorn, Iowa
so i bought a blown up talon from my freind and i was wondering what pistons were in it. it has no numbers or markings on the top on the inside of the skirt it has the mitsubisih emblem and a 3 behind it. on the side it has 00 3k. they are on the same side but the numbers are seperated by the wrist pin.

and i was also wondering if nt pistons would withstand the abuse of a turbo.id be switching out the connecting rods and bearings. i bought a nt motor cheap(it was cheaper the a crank for a turbo car) both motors are 6 bolt.

I would hold out and find one from a 6 bolt, and you can find some real good deals on pistons around here and on the bay.

ill post some pics as soon as i can(or figure out how to post them LOL)

both my engines are 6 bolt all 4 pistons are good bent a rod a put a gouge in the crank. the nt ran when it got pulled all i want to know with the nt pistons is can they handle abuse. the nt is a virgin engine

btw i have delta 272 cams and run 20 pounds of boost not a hole lot of mods done to it

ill post some pics as soon as i can(or figure out how to post them LOL)

both my engines are 6 bolt all 4 pistons are good bent a rod a put a gouge in the crank. the nt ran when it got pulled all i want to know with the nt pistons is can they handle abuse. the nt is a virgin engine

btw i have delta 272 cams and run 20 pounds of boost not a hole lot of mods done to it

Even if you have stock turbo pistons, they won't last in an NT block because the NT blocks do not have oil squirters. If you plan on using the NT block, you'll need to either get new forged pistons or machine the NT block for oil squirters.

For most street/drag builds the oil squirters are not required and it wouldn't matter if they were there or not, especially with forged pistons. The only time you would need/want oil squirters is for a road course/endurance build. I do agree that without them it is best to have forged pistons though.

To the OP, the N/T pistons are not recommended for boost, especially at 20 psi (out of any turbo). They will not last. The crank and rods are the same from N/T to turbo though. If you are on a budget, grab a set of Wisecos, have them machined to fit the stock 6 bolt rods (I'm running the same setup), and throw them in the N/T block. All the other N/T bottom end internals are the same (and with forged pistons the squirters won't matter).

Even if you have stock turbo pistons, they won't last in an NT block because the NT blocks do not have oil squirters. If you plan on using the NT block, you'll need to either get new forged pistons or machine the NT block for oil squirters.

Incorrect, they last just fine in a daily driven engine.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

and was wondering if these ar forged

Those are aftermarket cast pistons. If they were oem than they would have writing on the top. 63dk for non turbo 63dt for a 1g turbo piston, and 63dt f1 on a 2g turbo piston.

You could also do 2g pistons on 6 bolt rods for a little higher compression. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone

You can, but i usually don't recommend it in a 1g without a way to adjust timing. 1g's have pretty aggressive timing which can lead to detonation problems.

Last edited:
The nt engine is like 9.0:1,so I wouldn't use them in a turbo build,or the nt block. The crank is the same though.

i seen a set of factory evo 8 pistons and they look identical. i got ahold of the kid that built the motor he said they were evo 8. didnt trust him becuase he said it had eagle rods but they were stock.

was wondering if any one has heard of uj or ui pistons its on the opposite skirt of the mitsu emblem.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back