The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

ECMlink PiLink - Owners Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Very cool stuff! Curious, what data are you looking to port over to CAN bus? Is there anything in particular you are looking to interface to over CAN?

John Printed my idea, and now I'm building:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
HDMI-2 via ribbon cable.

Backup camera test - OK - This shaves of 2 ft of cable from the previous setup.

The long USB cables are for the remote USB ports. I'm going to provide access to the SSD and USB data sticks in the cernter console, and (probably) in the glove box, I'll provide a charging port, and ?? either CarPlay or the ECMLink cable - Not sure. Probably ECMlink cable.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Been struggling with the CAN bus connection and Lua script on RC. Figured out I had incorrect color coding in the wiring connecting the Pi CAN bus DB9 to RJ45 adapter. After creating a temporary cable to make the correct connections, I ordered a replacement RJ45 adaptor to set it up so standard CAT5 cables will work. The Lua script is another thing - finally got the relay clicking from a RC txCAN() command, so now working to get a test track setup with a real start/finish zone so I can ensure the whole setup works before going to a real track day.

Running RC on a high resolution display introduces lag due to the video driver that the app is designed for. The developers are focused on running RC on devices or Pi3 run from command line as a dedicated setup (which is not what I'm doing). Shrinking the window size (or if connected to HDMI2) projecting onto a 2nd lower resolution display makes RC work much better. I also want to see if RC can "background" so I can put other controls on the flat screen while on track.

Here is a pic of my preferred way to launch on a single screen setup:

Last edited:
I got some really good coding advice to push this across the finish line -Behold- the Sky now speaks to my gauge cluster! - thanks to the interconnection monster that is PiLink!

The crux of it was learning some Lua scripting to program RC, and to get help from the folks on RC's forum hosted by Discord. We figured out togeather that the documentation for the function getAtStartFinish() was wrong. Brent fixed the documentation, and the script was reworked to send one packet, instead of spamming the bus with packets while in the trigger zone.

Last edited:
I found USB3 data speeds were causing interference with the GPS signal on my iPhone!

I swapped the powered hub in my setup to a USB2 port and moved the CarPlay dongal to the USB3 port, and now GPS is working.

(bizarre!)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back