The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

ECMlink PiLink - Owners Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Install is complete: Got to say, having a lot of fun with this. I set up the Mitsubishi "Drive your Passion" startup screen fading into a spinning circle - and a fair bit of color scheme and background updates for the carbon fiber look.- Now running OAP 11. iPhone 14.1 iOS is working correctly now with the "recents" and "address book" phone feature. Backup Camera is working great and John worked out a nifty 12v signal input to trigger it.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Yes - Audio is handled through the OpenAutoPro interface, along with hands free phone integraiton. The USB audio card provides the 3.5mm headphone out and 3.5mm Mic input. I connected to my aftermarket amp driving aftermarket speakers to the headphone jack. No factory speaker setup here.

There is volume control in the OAP interface - rudimentary, but functional. I'm looking for ways to improve this as the built in EQ and pre-amp quality is "OK". True audiophile will likely be disappointed.

I've been busy, trying to make RetroPie work really - really well. (Pro Tip - don't run a VNC session, or record video while playing emulated games.) Also - for the really old ones, you need to find the sound samples that go with the rom and install them in the correct MAME samples folder.

Regards improving audio - I did replace a decades old RCA cable from the sound card to the AMP (12ft) with a twisted pair continuous run taking care not to run along side the high amp power lines, and crossing at 90deg where necessary. The faint high pitch buzz I was hearing with the engine running is much improved, if not gone. 30mv is not much line level in car audio world, and I'm curious to add a line level booster so that I can set the Alpine line level input back to 4v to see what that does.

Fan Control:
First - A transistor circuit to protect the Pulse Wave Modulated GPIO pin

Q1 - BC637 transistor
R1 - 1K resistor
D1 - 1N4148 diode

This is what it looks like in the real world:

Then - a program to control it:
All the fancy formula do not work well for the tiny little fan in Pilink. I ended up using a simple 5 second interval temp check, find the difference between target temp and actual temp, and then adjust the fan speed based on fanSpeed=fanSpeed+Diff. This dampens the adjustment so that it slowly increases or decreases. I also ended up with a super low pulse frequency of 15hz. The result is an idle state running the fan at about 35% to maintain 45deg C. and it sounds sorta like a car from the Jetsons.

Another handy feature for bench nerds like me - when running on a USB-C power supply (outside the car) the fan now shuts down when the CPU shuts down.

PWMFanControl.py

I just need to install the file, and run it silently at boot time.

Justin

Last edited:
I’ve tried a couple different wireless keyboard/trackpad options and game controllers looking for a nice feeling and working option. There is always something off about these things. Examples: a power button right next to the left mouse button ( god why ) or Blue Tooth vs dedicated dongal. And for game controller, wired vs BT, and if BT does it connect quickly, or do i have to pair it again and again or do the lights blink even though it’s connected etc..etc..

Here is an option that I do really like: Feels good in the hand, has a dedicated dongal for instant connection, is two devices in one, the game controller has three chipset modes, (I like the xbox mode) fits in the glovebox with the Pilink.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07STY21PS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_CM9UFb1WCRG37

Last edited:
Regards improving audio - I did replace a decades old RCA cable from the sound card to the AMP (12ft) with a twisted pair continuous run taking care not to run along side the high amp power lines, and crossing at 90deg where necessary. The faint high pitch buzz I was hearing with the engine running is much improved, if not gone. 30mv is not much line level in car audio world, and I'm curious to add a line level booster so that I can set the Alpine line level input back to 4v to see what that does.

I seldom pass up the opportunity to buy a new tool, here we see a super basic palm sized digital o-scope showing me how much and where the USB sound card limits are for pre-amp line level.

This signal was generated from a 400hz tone YouTube video playing in a web browser on my Bluetooth connected phone through OAP’s music feature. OAP volume at max, and OAP’s EQ - flat at 0db. If I increase the EQ more than 0, the signal starts to clip. Looks like this UGREEN sound card is good for 3.3v pre-amp line level.

Attachments

• F1F5A7D5-D30D-43D2-8450-29D1E27CAD6F.jpeg
    F1F5A7D5-D30D-43D2-8450-29D1E27CAD6F.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Can anyone share some installation pics?

Also, for Thanksgiving there is a 20% code available through Cyber Monday. Just go to https://jfracing.net and use code "TURKEY"! The new backup camera upgrade is available for preorder (release in Jan 2021 at the latest) so you can take advantage of the sale.

I have enhanced the DashControl app with a day / night mode that sync's with the sunrise and sunset time that is in the open auto pro ini preferences file. Not satisfied with static sunrise and sunset times, I created a run on boot .sh script that calculates the sunrise and sunset time based on a local time zone and longitude and latitude coordinates - then writes the hour and minutes into the openauto pro ini file.

Upshot is, My car display will switch color schemes at sunrise and sunset every day of the year without adjustment. - science gave us the formulae to predict the future!

Finals are finally over so I have a few weeks between semester's to get this dust collector installed. I was excited to get this thing going but college kicked my butt this last semester and I couldn't find the time to install it like I wanted. Here's where it's currently at, still have to wire everything up but at least I found it a home. Hopefully by next weekend I'll have it wired in and I'll be messaging you for the software update, John.

Last edited:
Finals are finally over so I have a few weeks between semester's to get this dust collector installed. I was excited to get this thing going but college kicked my butt this last semester and I couldn't find the time to install it like I wanted. Here's where it's currently at, still have to wire everything up but at least I found it a home. Hopefully by next weekend I'll have it wired in and I'll be messaging you for the software update, John.

Oooooh, nice. what version of the setup are you running? and what options?

Also - I need to repair/replace my seats, and wanted to know more about yours. Can you PM some advice?

Justin

All, I've just released the Backup Camera upgrade for PiLink. Thread can be found here: https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/pilink-backup-camera-upgrade-released.532793/

Also, v1.11 for PiLink Standard (i.e. not OpenAuto) has been released including the necessary software for the Backup Camera upgrade. v1.1 users can update by simply putting the update on their PiLink USB Drive, and v1.0 users will need to update their microSD card image to v1.1 then USB update or to v1.11 image directly. Details on the update can be found here: https://www.jfracing.net/p/pilinkdatalogger

I ran a full update with OAP 12, for this upgrade:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tomshardware.com/amp/news/raspberry-pi-widevine

YouTube, Disney+, Prime Video, and Netflix working in Chromium! (Hulu is blocked due to some Hulu specific limitations where it needs to know your location, which it can't get from Chromium)

Another benefit of the OS update is access to the GUI features of openbox, which allow me to launch the apps I want without a title bar. In the case of retropie, this really cleans up the screen blanking when launching games.

Generally things seem to be working, but I've also seen OAP crash, and I have to see what is causing it.

Adding a USB to CAN bus to Pilink is kicking my butt. I decided to try a different adaptor with SocketCAN support so I can use Python-can libraries. That will arrive friday.

I’m also trying to use a USB SSD to see if there is any meaningful performance improvement. Boot from USB is working with current Pi4 firmware, but I have not worked out the changes needed for ECMLink to save files correctly configured this way.

Also - Wireless Apple CarPlay dongal is in hand! Now I wait for OAP 13 to be released for the software support. It strikes me as funny that my oldest car will be the 1st car I have with Car play.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back