The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

ECMlink PiLink - Owners Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSiAWD666

Supporting Vendor
Aug 15, 2003
Herndon, Virginia
This thread is for PiLink owners to discuss whatever it is they choose about the product, whether it be troubleshooting, suggestions, cool mods, or anything else. Even complaints/criticisms are fair game. PiLink is made to be customizable and expandable so please do share any ideas or cools things you're doing with the system!

For those unfamiliar with this recently launched product PiLink is an automated datalogger for ECMLink ECUs available from John Freund Racing LLC. It will be available for regular purchase from https://facebook.com/johnfreundracing soon.

Got mine today! I can't recall, was there a thread dedicated to installation directions, as there are none of the box?

Check your email, I sent a link for USB setup files that included the User Guide. I actually shared that document a couple weeks ago. I have been communicating via your paypal email address.

Check your email, I sent a link for USB setup files that included the User Guide. I actually shared that document a couple weeks ago. I have been communicating via your paypal email address.

Totally forgot about that email, thanks!

So I just wired mine up and connected it a hdmi screen and when I put it in acc I get nothing.
I checked the plug for power and I'm getting 12 volts with the car off across pin 1 & 2 and when in acc I'm getting 12 volts across pin 1&2 and across pin 1&3-1 being the ground. I also wired up the led and waited a couple of minutes and didn't light up.
Also the link cable led never flashes during the waiting.
I checked with my laptop and the link cable is working.
Not sure what I'm doing wrong
Red wire connected to constant power and yellow wire connected to acc power and black to ground.
Any info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Brian

HDMI Screen - likely the settings in PiLink aren't quite right for your screen. The pi's a bit finicky with HDMI displays and requires hard coding of settings. PiLink comes hard coded for the screen I am prototyping, which is a 1920x1200@60hz screen. If your screen doesn't quite match it then it won't display. We can get your screen working though. Can you share what model screen it is? With that I can puzzle out what likely settings will work for you, and then we can work on reconfiguration. We will need either network access over WiFi, or physicall removing the microSD card and inserting it into a PC/laptop for editing. Just a note, this is covered in the user guide.

Oh the rest, like not seeing the ECMLink cable flashing, it's hard to say what's going on without some insight into the system. Easiest way to see what's going on is to enable WiFi by configuring it via USB (covered in the user guide), then remote desktop into it from your laptop/PC using VNC Viewer (also covered in the user guide). That way we can watch things on the desktop. Of course if you can't even get that to work there's more complex issues at play but this is a first step based on the assumption the PiLink is still assembled properly and all wired up (which per your findings regarding lights is most likely the case).

Just a note, all PiLink are bench tested here where I boot them up, connect them to my WiFi, let it set its clock over the network, and then verify proper shutdown behavior, all through a wiring harness connected to a 12V car battery like you would in your vehicles. So they at least don't leave here without knowing they work, but maybe something knocked loose inside during transit and we can investigate that if it comes to it.

The unit definitely works. I'm sure I did something wrong because when I disconnect the power cord and hook it up to a battery backup for my cell phone it powers right up and displays on my hdmi screen. So it's definitely something I'm doing wrong. I just can't figure it out. I'm sure it's just some setting or configuration that I'm missing.

TOGUARD Portable Monitor 7 Inch IPS Small HDMI Security Monitor USB Powered HD 1024x600 Computer Display Screen with AV VGA Input, Touch Keys, Built-in Speakers, Remote Control for Raspberry Pi PC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W5WB26H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_MWr5Eb5A026ZF

This is the screen I'm using. Which does display when I connect my battery backup from my phone. Boots up very quickly. Probably not the best screen but does work good enough for me

@Jacolu3 and I chatted on the phone and I think we've concluded his issue is actually a power circuit problem. He was able to power up PiLInk and boot it just fine with a USB power supply, yet when connected directly to a car battery no LED indicators were showing and nothing was powering up. We verified with a multimeter that the solder pads on the power management board were seeing the right voltages.

I'll be sending him a replacement power supply immediately. I'm quite puzzled by the failure since I know I tested it here at my desk, but I'll look into it more soon when he gets the failed unit back to me.

Last edited:
All - in case it's not obvious PiLink needs inputs setup just like if you were setting up a new laptop. Things like your wideband inputs, MAP sensorts, etc. If you need to set these up you'll either need to remote desktop in over WiFi (after enabling it) or hook up a keyboard/mouse/display.

This comes from a user asking where his inputs were and I realized I wasn't explicit on this topic in the user guide.

I was just curious. I don"t have a wireless keyboard/mouse and don't have a screen. Can I just plug a laptop into PiLink through a USB port like the one used for a dongle or the one that's above the obd2 port?

I was just curious. I don"t have a wireless keyboard/mouse and don't have a screen. Can I just plug a laptop into PiLink through a USB port like the one used for a dongle or the one that's above the obd2 port?

I'm pretty sure this isn't possible with the model Pi's that come in PiLink (Pi 3 B+ and Pi 4 B). It actually is possible with some of the less power Pi devices like the Pi Zero.

However, it is possible to do something like this by using an ethernet cable. Unfortunately the ethernet port is not exposed in the case on most of the PiLinks (exception to those who insisted on Pi 4 models), so to use this method you'll have to basically dremel a hole in the case to expose the ethernet port.

As for the technical details, I'll have to think about the easiest way to do this for the non-tech savvy. I think you might be able to use Windows Internet Connection Sharing (even though you won't actually be giving the Pi internet access) to do the heavy lifting here as well as Bonjour, but I don't have time immediately to puzzle this out. Perhaps someone else here has time to work out the details and can share them with the thread, or perhaps just wait until I get done with orders and have some time to play with this.

Does anyone have a screen that they use which was easy to setup or even plug and play? I’m looking to buy a screen that will work without a lot of issues.

@Boomdeeze did you see my post about screens in the group buy thread?

I'm also going to be releasing a 7" 1920x1200 touch screen... "soon". I'm working out final details hopefully by mid July.

I did, is that the one that I would need to send to you to be configured? Is there one that is a plug and play that is essentially just a display for ECMLink?

The sending me to be configured part is if you wanted me to set up PiLink out of the box to work. It isn't really necessary as most screens are easily configured by you.

Any display will just be a display for the device which, unless you purchased the DMS camera system, will display ECMLink at all times.

Don't be scared of using an HDMI screen. If you have one you like, it can be made to work, and I'm here to help.

My PiLink is working great, it’s capability is priceless.

I used two USB extensions, one for the flash drive and the other for Ecmlink. This is very convenient for quick laptop access for tuning changes. Another benefit is a quick way to prevent log capturing when not necessary, just unplug the Ecmlink cable. Plug it back in to connect and begin capturing, even while the car is on. Installed low so there’s no stress on the connection.

John has been very helpful. Great product.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
My PiLink is working great, it’s capability is priceless.

I used two USB extensions, one for the flash drive and the other for Ecmlink. This is very convenient for quick laptop access for tuning changes. Another benefit is a quick way to prevent log capturing when not necessary, just unplug the Ecmlink cable. Plug it back in to connect and begin capturing, even while the car is on. Installed low so there’s no stress on the connection.

John has been very helpful. Great product.

I agree, John is extremely helpful. I choose to locate my USB where my A/C button was.

Where are people mounting the box? My problem is the car is a track only car, and I just have no idea where to mount it. Is there EMI or anything that could mess with the ECU at all? This is what I was thinking.

Or

Jesse, I would bet good money you're going to be fine, and any EMI should be a non-issue with the ECU being housed in a complete metal cage.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back