The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Piece together a turbo kit??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon740

10+ Year Contributor
May 12, 2009
Zanesville, Ohio
Okay, I know there are forums of several guys/girls piecing together, but the one I have found are for upgrading, or for kits you buy. Is there anyone that can actually sit down, and explain to me every piece I would need, why, and how much is will cost? I am wanting to see if I can get a full built kit, for under $1,000, oh and I would like to just run 8-10 lbs on stock internals, its a daily driver as well, I am pretty new to the whole turbo stage, I have never owned a car with a turbo, this is my first car :) but I am willing to learn anything I need to, and if this means anything, I have a 420a 95 eagle talon. :thumb:

Thanks so much for any reply,

Corey

Okay, I know there are forums of several guys/girls piecing together, but the one I have found are for upgrading, or for kits you buy. Is there anyone that can actually sit down, and explain to me every piece I would need, why, and how much is will cost? I am wanting to see if I can get a full built kit, for under $1,000, oh and I would like to just run 8-10 lbs on stock internals, its a daily driver as well, I am pretty new to the whole turbo stage, I have never owned a car with a turbo, this is my first car :) but I am willing to learn anything I need to, and if this means anything, I have a 420a 95 eagle talon. :thumb:

Thanks so much for any reply,

Corey

oh and if anyone has anything for sale as well, for a turbo kit, PM me :pray:

Can it be done for less than 1k? Yes. Will you need to find incredible deals or be able to fabricate some stuff on your own? Yes.

We can't give you a list with prices because there are too many variables

Turbo $50-$1500
Manifold $50-$500
Downpipe $50-$250
Intercooler and piping $50-$800
BOV $25-$200
Wastegate (might not need depending on turbo) $50-$250
Gauges (at a minimum boost and nb02) $50-$500+
Walbro 255lph hi pressure pump $50-$100
FMU $50-$100
Knowledge - A lot more than you currently have, if you're serious read every thread you can here and on 2gnt about turboing a 420a

Also, if this is a DD and you aren't going to have the money to fix the car when it breaks (because it will) don't boost your car. I've seen people go several years on the stock bottom end and I've seen people only last several days on the stock bottom end.

okay thank you, another question is which sites, places, are best to find good deals? and how much of a stock tsi can I use on the conversion compared to aftermarket? and I have a buddy that has tons of knowledge on turbo'd cars, he will be piecing the parts together as I buy them, im wanting to know which parts Id need, even the accessories, like oil lines, ect. oh and I have another car, so if and when it breaks LOL, I will use the other car, and I have money, just saving for bigger and better things, but I will not hesitate in putting money into this car, hell, im 17 years old, and I like to have fun, go fast, and once I turn 18 I am getting a job at a local body shop. so no worries on body work, or any maintenence needs, bc everything is always checked, tested, and done correctly :)

but still didnt answer the question of what parts I am able to use off of a stock tsi/ gst??

No, I answered your question... ;)

VelocitàPaola;151921176 said:
The information is there... we won't spoon-feed it to you, though.

Seriously, you'll be doing yourself a favor if you research your own answers. Not only will you avoid aggravating seasoned 420A veterans, but you'll gain a better understanding of what's involved with this particular modification.

I know but isnt this better than research if a person such as yourself, knowing the answers, would just give me them??, I think I have read everything I need to know considering what you are linking me to a guy who made his own turbo kit, I personally want to buy the pieces already ready, its not spoon-feeding if you share your own knowledge. im not trying to come off rude or anything by all means, but I feel that it would a lot more helpful if somebody actually sat down and described to me which pieces I will need, if bought off of a site seperate, not a turbo kit already put together, and if that person will be patient enough to explain to me what does what, what everything means. I can read all I wanted, but im a hands on kinda guy, either explained to me straight up in a point-of-view of myself, or show me. this is a forum, and yea there may have been several threads just like mine, im sorry, I am just wanting my questions answered in someones own words, or at least be more helpful in my concerns regarding what ive asked. stating that what turbo will work with what manifold, does it matter? compression rates, ect. annything that involves turbo'ing a car, Id like to be broken down to me, I dont want to search threads and threads to find different oppinions and links to other forums. can anybody just break it down in their own words??

You can use most things off a TSi.
IC pipes will need some modifying, cause we have the 420A, and those are for a 4G63.
You are going to need to buy a new turbo manifold, that will fit the 420A. You can NOT use one from a ]4G63.
And you really should just buy a new 225lph fuel pump.
Id also use a BOV off a 1G. They hold pressure better than the 2G BOV.
Like the MOD said, theres other Threads that will explain everything you need.

There is a book called "Maximum Boost" you can buy at any book store, read, re-read, then return with questions that have not been answered before.

I know but isnt this better than research if a person such as yourself, knowing the answers, would just give me them??, I think I have read everything I need to know considering what you are linking me to a guy who made his own turbo kit, I personally want to buy the pieces already ready, its not spoon-feeding if you share your own knowledge.

You are most definately asking to be spoon fed! I, for example, have probably spent more then 200+ hours on this and other 420a related forums searching and researching information to not only FIND the information I'm looking for, but to UNDERSTAND the function and reasoning behind it. If you have questions, feel free to post them, but dont just simply ask the people here to sit down and tell you everthing there is to know about turbo, modification and tuning w/o any effort on your part.

If you want to piece a kit together and turbo your car safely, you have no other option but to spend a lot of time researching the information necessary. If not, pay Hahn $3800 for thier stage II kit plus another $500 for a shop to install it for you.

You are most definately asking to be spoon fed! .

Yeah man. Sounds to me like you want people to tell you how everything works and what to get. Do yourself a favor and sit down and read and research as much as possible before deciding to go turbo. If you attempt to turbo your car without having a full grasp on how everything works, you're gonna have a hard time finding the source of your problems when something breaks down. And trust me, when you go turbo stuff will break or need to be fixed at one point or another. Might sound funny to most people but I actually read up on turbos and how to piece together a kit for almost a year before I had the courage to tear into my car. You'll know when you're ready to start your project when everything starts looking simple to install. :D

I know but isnt this better than research if a person such as yourself, knowing the answers, would just give me them??, I think I have read everything I need to know considering what you are linking me to a guy who made his own turbo kit, I personally want to buy the pieces already ready, its not spoon-feeding if you share your own knowledge. im not trying to come off rude or anything by all means, but I feel that it would a lot more helpful if somebody actually sat down and described to me which pieces I will need, if bought off of a site seperate, not a turbo kit already put together, and if that person will be patient enough to explain to me what does what, what everything means. I can read all I wanted, but im a hands on kinda guy, either explained to me straight up in a point-of-view of myself, or show me. this is a forum, and yea there may have been several threads just like mine, im sorry, I am just wanting my questions answered in someones own words, or at least be more helpful in my concerns regarding what ive asked. stating that what turbo will work with what manifold, does it matter? compression rates, ect. annything that involves turbo'ing a car, Id like to be broken down to me, I dont want to search threads and threads to find different oppinions and links to other forums. can anybody just break it down in their own words??

My guide has everything you need to get your started in the right direction. The only thing I really made from scratch was the exhaust manifold, and you can simply buy one and skip the making step. Read my guide, re-read it, google what you are confused about, google some more, then, after all of that googling, google a little bit more, then ask questions.

Patience.

:thumb:

My guide has everything you need to get your started in the right direction.

Your guide was my main source of info for my install. I printed out the whole thing in color and had it with me the whole time for reference. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back