The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Pictures of the nitrous backfire at todays shootout...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth98es said:
Yup just installed new 0-rings on my injectors and an Aeromotive AFPR, going to go RE-loctite everything :(

You beat me to it. Tonight Im gunna re-loctite the fuel rail bolts and check all the fuel fittings :toobad:

Driver of the car posted on his local board:

Brad

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:03 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks for the concern guys. Yes we did tow the car to the track in Don's trailer. Me and him are friends and get along well. He offered up the use of his truck and trailer so we took him up on the offer.

After getting the car back and going over eveything the cause of the fire is the aeromotive fuel rail. It has three brackets that bolt to the fuel rail and then the otherside of the bracket bolts to the head. The bolts that bolt to the fuel railed came out and let the fuel rail move enough to unseat the injectors and spray fuel into the engine back. Per the video the second bang is a back fire which ignited the fuel and started the fire. We talked to Aeromotive today and they said the bolts are supposed to have loctite from the factory.

The reason i took so long to slow the car and get out is i didn't realize it was on fire until flames kissed me feet. PLus the engine had already stalled and with no power brakes it is kinda hard to stop. I didn't smell anything burning and thought the white smoke i saw was oil smoke so i steered for the side of the track to get out of the groove.

There were no frantic adjustments made before this pass. John Shepherd was helping us out to adjust the shift linkage on the car because it was all out of whack and would not let me shift into 3rd or 4th very easily. The car was run down the track with no nitrous to make sure the alignment was on. The next run it went 11.0 @ 108 missing third and coasting after third because i had no 4th. I can tell you right now this car was way faster than last years car. I was only runnign 32 psi and a 100 shot versus 36 psi and 150shot from last year when i went 10.1 @ 141.

and also posted "We had a nitous back fire which blew the fuel rail off, then another which ignited the fuel as you can clearly hear and see in the video. I can show you pics of the fuel rail if you want all #### ####ed and the injectors unseated. Do some research this happens quite a bit on fuel injected cars running nitrous."

Phat95Talon said:
Driver of the car posted on his local board:

Brad

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:03 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks for the concern guys. Yes we did tow the car to the track in Don's trailer. Me and him are friends and get along well. He offered up the use of his truck and trailer so we took him up on the offer.

After getting the car back and going over eveything the cause of the fire is the aeromotive fuel rail. It has three brackets that bolt to the fuel rail and then the otherside of the bracket bolts to the head. The bolts that bolt to the fuel railed came out and let the fuel rail move enough to unseat the injectors and spray fuel into the engine back. Per the video the second bang is a back fire which ignited the fuel and started the fire. We talked to Aeromotive today and they said the bolts are supposed to have loctite from the factory.

The reason i took so long to slow the car and get out is i didn't realize it was on fire until flames kissed me feet. PLus the engine had already stalled and with no power brakes it is kinda hard to stop. I didn't smell anything burning and thought the white smoke i saw was oil smoke so i steered for the side of the track to get out of the groove.

There were no frantic adjustments made before this pass. John Shepherd was helping us out to adjust the shift linkage on the car because it was all out of whack and would not let me shift into 3rd or 4th very easily. The car was run down the track with no nitrous to make sure the alignment was on. The next run it went 11.0 @ 108 missing third and coasting after third because i had no 4th. I can tell you right now this car was way faster than last years car. I was only runnign 32 psi and a 100 shot versus 36 psi and 150shot from last year when i went 10.1 @ 141.

and also posted "We had a nitous back fire which blew the fuel rail off, then another which ignited the fuel as you can clearly hear and see in the video. I can show you pics of the fuel rail if you want all #### ####ed and the injectors unseated. Do some research this happens quite a bit on fuel injected cars running nitrous."

soooooo the driver didnt know if he was juicin or not? WTF?

Ohhh I was def. up at the track when that happened. Saddest thing ever I felt sooooo bad for the guy. I felt even worse for the car though LOL. We had just walked onto the stands just in time to see it launch and then go into flames :(

szewczyd said:
So, in other words, don't let John Shepard touch ur car, before u run it?

LOL... maybe he was afraid this shop was gonna beat his time. ROFL

JiveMasterT said:
LOL... maybe he was afraid this shop was gonna beat his time. ROFL

Hardly. :rolleyes: Contrary to what you may think, there is such a thing as helping each other out. Shep also helped them diagnose the cause of the fire at his shop. So quit making stupid little comments on something you guys know nothing about. You guys are like the nerd that kicks the other nerd that just got beat down by the jocks. :tease:

GSX_RCR said:
Hardly. :rolleyes: Contrary to what you may think, there is such a thing as helping each other out. Shep also helped them diagnose the cause of the fire at his shop. So quit making stupid little comments on something you guys know nothing about. You guys are like the nerd that kicks the other nerd that just got beat down by the jocks. :tease:

WOW its really funny how someone can't understand a little bit of humor, in a terrible situation. Sorry for taking it the wrong way but I just thought it was interesting and sort of funny. :nono:

P.S Let me guess u were the jock that beat up the nerds in school? And I qoute Al Pacino,"Oh what a big man u are, let me buy you a pack of gun and show you how to chew it"

Yes I am great fan of John Shepard and totally believe in all his work and love everthing he does. I "YES" I have helped out many people on their cars and love to help out others when I can, I can't even count the number of times I have offered someone to use my garage and my dad's tools(LOL) on their car. "You don't even know Napoleon" Kip

Sorry modertators, back to the the title of this thread since someone got us off topic. :rolleyes: GSX_RCR

"Don't be hatin'"

szewczyd said:
WOW its really funny how someone can't understand a little bit of humor, in a terrible situation. Sorry for taking it the wrong way but I just thought it was interesting and sort of funny. :nono:

P.S Let me guess u were the jock that beat up the nerds in school? And I qoute Al Pacino,"Oh what a big man u are, let me buy you a pack of gun and show you how to chew it"

Yes I am great fan of John Shepard and totally believe in all his work and love everthing he does. I "YES" I have helped out many people on their cars and love to help out others when I can, I can't even count the number of times I have offered someone to use my garage and my dad's tools(LOL) on their car. "You don't even know Napoleon" Kip

Sorry modertators, back to the the title of this thread since someone got us off topic. :rolleyes: GSX_RCR

"Don't be hatin'"

i thought my little ROFL at the end of my post would have conveyed this message... guess not.

The scary thing is I ran right before the guy in the purple 2g that ran 13.7.. t-25 baby but I came around parked my car and saw flames. I thought mayb I did something like leaked fuelor something on to the track got all scared but def wasn;t me. I was def. digging that car

Wow...that has to be so heart breaking to see. :( Glad he made it out ok.

Could not get it to work. If you look at the file name it appears to be a video of the 1G on fire at Norwalk. There are a couple of threads on it already. It sucks :notgood:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back