The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Which clutch [Merged 3-9] what clutch best

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayden

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 15, 2002
Ky
ok i am going to get a new clutch for my car. i was wandering which one i should go with. i was thinking of the act 2100. Dont think i want the 2600 because it is a daily driven car and will only go to the track a couple times a year. if there are some other brands you all would suggest let me know. i want a good streetable clutch for a cheap budget.

My 2.4L engine is in getting built and I am wondering what clutch to go with. I will be most likely be going with a FP 3575 turbo so I want a clutch that is going to last the higher torque and HP levels. I was origanally going to go with the ACT 2900 and street disc but after reading some threads about problems with ACT I am starting to lean away from them. What else would be a good alternative? What about the slowboy 4000 clutch?

Thanks,
Kris

Had act2600 in my 1st awd... and again in my 2nd awd...

never had a problem with either this one has 30k miles still feels stiff (yet to start the car though)

but the act2600 in my other awd is just awesome, best clutch I have ever had. I recommend it over anything to all my friends

I'm sitting in a bit of the same situation. I am going with the 2900 and street disk combination. Aside from the TOB problems most ACT problems are user install facilated.

The 2600 won't hold up to the power you are about to throw down with that monster turbo. You can get 12-11 sec passes out of the 2600 (maybe lower if your good), but you will burn threw it quickly.

(I recieved my fp 3065 a few weeks ago.... Damn bastards making something bigger on me in the mean time...)

Jealous of your turbo being a lil better than mine.

Here's the deal, My n/t tranny isn't keeping up with my turbo engine.

I'm getting a used turbo trany but I can't decide what clutch.

I can get centerforce at cost. Should I get the centerforce 1, or the dual friction.

I think the df is 2500lbs, what is the cenyerforce 1 rated at?

thanks.

i got a n/t 97 gs with n/t tranny (ofcourse) but i bought the centerforce df. i love it, theres alot of mixed feelings about this clutch but i think its great. you gotta drive it 500 miles of stop and go driving at low rpms. but after that you can rip into it and it grabs and holds real damn good. i took mine to 600 miles before i started gettin on it, but it pulls all the way to redline quick in every gear. its an amazing clutch, i guarentee if you buy it and go by the break in period rules you wont be dissapointed.

i have an act 2100 but i think i should've gotten the Centerforce DF clutch, their both great clutches, but a lot of people have problems with the act clutches busting hub springs

Okay fellas, I'm gonna list all of the parts I will be installing and see what you think would be the best clutch for me. This car is my daily driver so I can't have anything too heavy duty. As far as brands, I've been researching South Bend, Centerforce, Clutchmasters, and SPEC. I was leaning towards either the South Bend DXD Series or a SPEC Stage 3 or 4. Clutchmasters are just too overpriced I think. Lemme know what you think. Here are the mods that I pieced together instead of buying a kit with stuff I didnt want:

Garret 57 Trim T3/T4OE Floating Dual Ball-Bearing TurboCharger
Custom Log-Stlye Turbo Manifold (from theStreetSource.com)
Tial 38mm External Wastegate
HKS SSQV BOV
Vortech SFMU
Walbro 255 HP Fuel Pump w/ Rewire
RC 440cc Saturated Injectors
Custom 3" Downpipe
FMIC with Custom 2.5" piping
Greddy Emanage
Greddy Profec E-01
Greddy Gauges (52mm boost, egt, oil pressure, fuel pressure)
FJO Wideband o2 Kit

My car has 87k miles as of right now and I am gettin a block off a friend and rebuilding it then swapping with my current block so I can run more boost. Any other questions feel free to reach me on AIM at b00sted eclipse or through email at [email protected]
Thanks! ALL FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED! I'm just trying to make an important decision and I know I've come to the right place for help. ;)

I woul recomend CM's FX400 yes they are a little pricey but they are worth it

If you realy don't want a CM the just go with a SPEC
as far as the best clutch for you is.
Tell us how much HP you are going for, and that will decide how big to go on your clutch

I need some advice guys, what clutch to i get that will last. i plan on having 450hp+ and 25psi+ on high boost, i have a ACT 2100lb clutch kit, now what clutch, and pressure plate should i get?? i really want to stay with ACT because i know they are really good thanks :thumb: :talon:

2600 w/six puck maybe? street disc?

How do you plan on making 450+ horses and 25psi? If you plan on making that much power then you should already know about clutches. :confused:

nined2tsi said:
2600 w/six puck maybe? street disc?

How do you plan on making 450+ horses and 25psi? If you plan on making that much power then you should already know about clutches. :confused:

yea i knew what clutch i was going to need, but i didnt know what combo i should do, you think the street disk will be able to hold up?? or the six-puckk would be best?

i would stay away from the 6 puck if you like your tranny. if you dont think that the 2600 is going to be enough you can go to the 2900.

I want to buy a new clutch for my 91 Talon Tsi FWD but I really can't decide since I have seen a lot of options... So, I hope some one here can suggest me a good clutch kit for my car... I use my car as a daily car but also once a week I use it in the 1/4 mile drag races. I have some few mods such as: MBC at 14.5Psi, BS removed, Prothane motor mounts, underdrive crank pulley, K & N air filter, ported 14B, open tuneable exhaust, cat removed, and all of the free mods.

I saw some clutch kits options, such as: Luk, Beck Arnley, Exedy, ASCO Organic Stage 1 and some others...

My only future mods in my plans is a bigger intercooler I won't go over that!!! so please suggest me a good option to buy considerating my mods!...

PS: I don't want to buy a very expensive clutch (I am a low budget guy... :cry: :cry: :cry: ) , what are your suggestions???

thanks in advance! :thumb:

Sergio G.

Sergio,

An ACT 2100 would be more than enough for your modifications and will hold well at the strip considering you aren't running a large turbo with monster boost. Also based on your boost levels, you'll be fine on the stock sidemount at 16 psi so you can save your pennies on that purchase.

Hope that helps,

Andy

P.S. Make sure you go easy on the clutch in the first 400-500 miles to break it in. That means no launches, no heavy boosting and no driving over 3500 RPM. The better you treat it in the beginning, the longer it'll last for you.

andymoraitis said:
Sergio,

An ACT 2100 would be more than enough for your modifications and will hold well at the strip considering you aren't running a large turbo with monster boost. Also based on your boost levels, you'll be fine on the stock sidemount at 16 psi so you can save your pennies on that purchase.

Hope that helps,

Andy

P.S. Make sure you go easy on the clutch in the first 400-500 miles to break it in. That means no launches, no heavy boosting and no driving over 3500 RPM. The better you treat it in the beginning, the longer it'll last for you.

I am buying a clutch next month as my stock one just craped out on me. Someone recomended the ACT 2100 to me also but I wanted more feedback on it. You say that it's good as long as you don't have a monster turbo and such but my future plans include a turbo upgrade in about a year. Would I be ok with an ACT 2100 or should i get something a little stronger?

they say the 2100 is good for 333 lbs of tq.
I'd imagine most poeple running eiii 16g's could get by with a 2100.

BUT I'm a do it once kinda guy so for my clutch purchase I'm leaning towards the slow boy clucth, looks pretty nice.

I am also running an act 2600 and it has been great!!!! I would recommend a 2900 and you always mix up the discs so that it can increase clamp load up to 300%!!!!!! that should do ya fine, cause I bet that turbo will be flowwing enough that something else will be going before that clutch would, let us know what you decided to get and how it's treating you!!!!! P.S> you should p.m. me some pics of your new turbo with reference to some common objects, cd, smokes, etc. thanks alot

When making a clutch choice for my 2.4, I started seeing a common thread: the 2600+street disc combination held the power (500-600whp), but ate discs at a rate of two or more per season, depending on the weight of the vehicle and other conditions.

Since I wasn't willing to drop the tranny more than once a year (barring breakage, of course), I went with this. At $1k, it's not cheap, but it should be effective. Talk to Adam at Devotuning for details; it's basically a twin-disc QuarterMaster clutch and chromoly flywheel. The only fitment issue is the clutch fork; it needs a bit of grinding to clear the highest point on the pressure plate.

I'll be glad to give a review once the car is back together. From experience with other local folks using it, it has slightly less pedal pressure than an ACT 2100, with quite a bit of clattering when disengaged at idle, and pretty much instant engagement.

May possibly be a repost but every application is different.

I'm running at least 300 ft/tq and 320 hp in my 7 bolt 2g. The clutch is fried so I'm replacing it and the flywheel. I've got it down to 2 clutches and flywheels options. Please tell me what you recommend. I ruled out the 2600 due to the fact that I hear it's too much pressure on the 7 bolt motor.

Here's the options:
ACT 2100 (orgnaic disc, 320 tq) with ACT flywheel
ACT 2100 with stock flywheel (don't really want to keep stock flywheel)
Spec clutch (kevlar disc, 375 tq) with ACT flywheel
Spec Clutch with Fidanza flywheel
Spec cluch with stock flywheel

I'm picking the parts up in about an hour or 2 so any help would be appreciated.

Don't know if I'm too late or not, but heres what I've read. Most fidanza users love the flywheel, but since it is so light and throttle response is so good it is difficult to use in traffic or parking lots (until you get used to it). I've heard that the act flywheel is a bit more reserved for street use than the fidanza flywheel. Really I would say its up to you, if you want to race more often I would go with the fidanza flywheel.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back