The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

People with 2G full bushing kits..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If the parts are rusty, hit it with a wire wheel and some Por-15. That stuff is like magic on rusted metal. If the parts aren't rusty I like dupli color self etching primer and their regular enamel paints. They're cheap and available everywhere. I've also had great luck with using VHT caliper paints on just about anything, extremely durable and heat resistant. My big thing is having them dry quickly, which all of the above do.

with all the control arms off me and a buddy can swap the old bushings for new ones in about 45 min tops. The trick is in the technique.

They're really not that bad. I don't have a press right now, so I cut the sleeve with a sawzall. I put on Energy Suspension ones, so to deal with popping them in without a press I machined a little aluminum cup that allows the bushing to go all the way through the other side when I screw a bolt through it - if you can visualize that.

If anyone is interested in a 20 ton floor press, you can pick one up through Grizzly for 100, shipping is 80. Though their stuff is imported, it is pretty damn good for a personal shop. I use their version of the Sieg X3 for a mill, and I've been happy with it.

So which kit is better/more complete kit for a 2g fwd? Prothane or Energy Suspension.

Prothane is more complete, easier to install, but more expensive.

Dragging this from the dead. EXACTLY what bushings are included in the ES rear kit for a 2g?

Every bushing except the the inboard pickups for the toe and lateral arms.

The prothane kit is much better all around. I would stay way form the ES kit.

This is a good place to see what the Prothane kit replaces.

Index of /parts/prothane

Kevin

Im getting my ass kicked here. I got the front sub frame bushings out and that is it. I have access to a hydraulic press and I own a ballpoint press but all im doing is tearing the rubber out. I hope I never have to do this task on any car again. This has me so frustrated. Anyone local to me wanna come drink some beer and do a bushing swap?

Hmm......

Drink beer, operate hydraulic press - anyone else see where this is going ??

:D

I put a bolt in the bushings as tight as I could and used a cheater bar on the rachet. Applied pressure down while turning. The all slid out. Only had problem with the two that had an outer sleeve. Even with a great press still took me an hour for 2. Fyi for 1G.

I am looking to do this in the immediate future. I actually have all the suspension parts off the front of the GSX at this point. So I figure it can't get an easier than right now.
I am a little confused tho; I swore I have seen subframe bushings in one of the aftermarket bushing kits.

I am a little confused tho; I swore I have seen subframe bushings in one of the aftermarket bushing kits.

Not for a DSM. But maybe in the generic pic they put online shows subframe bushings which is confusing you.

There are a few vendors/freelancers offering subframe and differential bushings if you search for them.

That's what I thought. I'm working with black_gst to get a set of cnc'd aluminum front and rear subframe bushings. Going to order the fronts tomorow! Also going to order the Prothane front suspension kit tomorow.

sir yes sir! Yea that's me. something went real screwy with my bmoha2 screen name. I got locked out of that account for unknown reason. My password just stopped working. I had snowborder714 reset it to a different email account and everythign was fine.... and then same thing happened again. Password just didn't work anymore. I kinda gave up and started new account name. Haven't had access issues since knock on wood.
I also am retiring the Talon. the motor and tranny are being swapped over to a 97 GSX shell so maybe it is fitting that I have a new screen name for the GSX.

Haha, well welcome back! I knew it was you once I saw the little snippets in the "Topic Title". I think you're the only person who does that. Good luck with the new car.

since I've got you here and your setup is hopefully a lot like what mine will be; I still have my silver metallic 17X8 OZ Superleggeras. They will be going on the Silver GSX. What tires are you running on yours? How is your suspension setup now? Oh I suppose all that is in your profile. I'll take a look. I have a older 4X4 Ford Xploder I'll be using in the wintertime so the GSX will be setup for mostly aggressive driving. Might get in an event at Road America or Blackhawk. Hard to say. I'm just flat out terrible at low speed autocross. Although at the events I was at I did manage to win my class. Albeit I was the only car running in my class. : )

Going to order cnc'd aluminum front subframe bushings from black_gst today and Prothane front suspension bushings!
I'll be ordering the same for the rear suspension in a month and a set of cnc'd aluminum rear diff bushings!
Should be a tight chassis!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back